Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Mareena aka Emeraldfire and this is my second post on this forum. I am a cat lover who just recently lost her 15-year-old domesticated shorthair gray and white cat. Smokey was adopted by me and was just turning feral.

He was born under my parents' restaurant porch along with his three sisters and one brother in October 1996. I was 18 and every time I was in the back room, I was hearing meowing when everything was quiet. I told my parents but no-one believed me until a patron came in and said, "You have a family of kittens living under your porch."

We called a no-kill shelter to come catch them all, but they could not catch the mother - who, we found out later, was our neighbor's cat (he just wanted her back, didn't care what we did with the kittens.) The shelter wanted her spayed and returned to him, but we never caught her unfortunately.

So, we caught the five kittens and I had my eye on a little orange tabby I named Katy Daly. She turned out totally feral and I couldn't take her. The two other females were slightly feral but able to be adopted out, I believe. The two males - Oscar and Felix as they were known then were being fostered and the black one (Felix) was eventually adopted as well.

I kept abreast of Oscar's condition daily. I was desperate to get him even though I had never really seen him - my father told me his coloring (gray and white) but he seemed the most sedate of the kittens.

I didn't really like the name Oscar so I changed his name to Smokey after I adopted him at three months old. The volunteer came over to my house to give him his shots after I'd had him a week and he hid behind me when she came near him. She was shocked!

:catmilk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello, Emeraldfire here!

Hello everybody!

My name is Mareena and I live in Loudonville (Albany) upstate New York. I've been posting since yesterday but haven't seen my posts yet. I'm trying not to post too much but I do have a lot to say. :)

I love all animals. I used to have small animals when I was little (hamsters and a guinea pig). I wrote about them in a previous post. I just recently lost (June 7, 2011) my kitty companion of 15 years. He was almost feral but ended up hating the outdoors and loving people (at least my mom and I) :)

My parents loved cats as well. They had five (and a couple of strays) in an apartment. There was Dash, Rhumba, Nothing, Fluffy and Daphne-Anne (the strays had strange names - there was Gloria nicknamed Glowy or Glowia, Gluck Bully Pluffy and Gluckeen Daphne-Anne.) :)

Now, I'm thinking of adopting three female cats from one litter. They are tabbies named Lollipop, Coquette and Chicklet. They are eight years old. I'm also thinking of changing their names to Espresso, Latte and Mocha. I wonder if I should?

I adopted my Smokey at three months and his name was changed (by me) from Oscar. I seem to attract litters (my parents had five, Smokey came from a litter of five and my potential sweeties are all from a litter of five). Their owner is moving and can't take them, they are being fostered by a woman with severe allergies and they need to be kept together as much as possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Emeraldfire is in the house

I think! :)

I have been happily owned by a 15-year-old gray and white male cat named Smokey (he just died a month ago). He was an almost feral cat I adopted at three months.

I love this forum so far and hope to chat with you all about my Smokey and the three female tabbies I hope to adopt next week. I'm chatty so I hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kitty Update

Well, the day is finally here. The girls are coming, the girls are coming! The cats are coming at noon. :D My best friend is going to pick them up at the farm. The lady who has them, along with their two brothers has terrible asthma and can't keep the five cats. I can't come along because I apparently am "too threatening" :D If you knew me in real life, you'd know how funny that is. I totally understand though, living at a farm must be tough.

I think Chicklet is a good mouser, as is Coquette. My Smokey didn't know what a mouse was. My mom and I had a mouse come into our living room once and we started screaming. Smokey came waltzing by and just looked at it like it was from the moon! :D Didn't touch it, even though we kept yelling at him, "You're the cat! Do something!"

I thought it was an ingrained response between cats and mice. :?: Oh well, I just thought Smokey was "laying down with lions" anyway. He was extremely placid as he grew older.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts