Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 days ago, we adapted Lucy from Frisco Human Society (FHS). She is one year and 3 months old. Lucy looks very scared, and she is most comfortable being in the cage and she hesitate to come outside of the cage. We were told Lucy was found behind a house with her 4 newborn babies about 3 months ago. Lucy’s babies were raised by FHS foster mom and adapted to others recently.
We also have another cat; Cosmo is six and half years old. We adapted Cosmo from Texas Little Cutties Rescue (TLCR) when he was only 4 weeks old. Cosmo always cries to go outside and were thinking if we adapt another cat she will eventually have a good buddy to play with and stop wanting to go outside. We also have two sons 18 and 23.
I like to ask your ideas and experiences how to help Lucy to come out of her cage and start playing with Cosmo.
Thank you!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good to hear from another Texan! I am in Dallas. I don't have much advice other than "officially" introducing the two cats. Did you bring Lucy in and let her out in a separate room with Cosmo having the run of the rest of the house? Did you intermingle their two scents by having them each rub on towels and then introduce them to the other? Did you eventually crack the door where the two cats could get a brief look at each other? We've never really "socialized" our cats before but we just adopted a 6 year-old cat to be a companion with our 3 year-old cat and by following these practices they are now getting along by Day 7. Lucy is for sure needing to feel secure and a little bit of Cosmo's scent for a few days may help. If she will come out of the cage it may also be helpful if you feed them treats on either side of the door.

I realize we are lucky because both of our cats are adult cats whose previous owners passed away so they are used to being around people. I feel your pain with Cosmo because we had a "door darter" too that couldn't wait to escape outside. That never changes. Just give Lucy some time and let her get used to your house. Even the most settled cats need to explore their territory. Our new 6 year-old Bugsy is the most easy-going cat ever but even he needed time to get used to our house when we let him out of his "room".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thanks for reply! Lucy stays with me in the office room with me most of the time. We did not use towel but every evening I bring Lucy in the cage in the living room and Cosmo often comes by and sniff her. We are thinking it will take a month or two for both to get friendly I hope.
Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recommend just letting Lucy decide when she is going to come out, and don't try to rush her. She needs to take time in her own process of adjusting. Feed her in the crate if she needs that, have water for her always in the crate, and don't mess with her. In another week or so she will probably come out on her own. If you try to rush it, she will only be more scared.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The next step would be to put Cosmo in one room with the door closed, preferably when he's napping to avoid agitation, and letting Lucy out to explore the rest of the house with you for several intervals throughout the day, so she can become familiar with her new home and intermingle her scent with Cosmo's. Then put Lucy back in your office and let Cosmo out so he can give everything a good sniffing. It will make face-to-face introductions go a lot smoother.

A question: What is their reaction when Lucy is in the cage and Cosmo is in the same room with her?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recommend just letting Lucy decide when she is going to come out, and don't try to rush her. She needs to take time in her own process of adjusting. Feed her in the crate if she needs that, have water for her always in the crate, and don't mess with her. In another week or so she will probably come out on her own. If you try to rush it, she will only be more scared.
Hi Mosi, Thanks for the information. I totally agree! Lucy has made much progress in last couple days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The next step would be to put Cosmo in one room with the door closed, preferably when he's napping to avoid agitation, and letting Lucy out to explore the rest of the house with you for several intervals throughout the day, so she can become familiar with her new home and intermingle her scent with Cosmo's. Then put Lucy back in your office and let Cosmo out so he can give everything a good sniffing. It will make face-to-face introductions go a lot smoother.

A question: What is their reaction when Lucy is in the cage and Cosmo is in the same room with her?
Thank you for the info. I pretty much have done something very similar to your suggestions. Lucy was out of the cage last night and also today for couple hours.
When Lucy is in the cage, Cosmo will come by just for few seconds and totally ignore her like saying I don't care you are here!! I am very encouraged by Lucy in last 24 hours being out of cage for an hour or two. I think she will be OK!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts