Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think I'd buy one any time soon, but I was browsing ebay and thought it was cute... for only $15 plus shipping... ended up being slightly over $50. I thought it was a good buy. and its so cute :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4315361848

Hopefully I'll be getting it in two weeks or so, I hope Addison likes it as much as I do!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Holy smokes!

I only wish I had space in my one-bedroom apartment for a monster like that! One day when I have a house of my own, I hope to build a whole ramp/walk-way/cat-tree system in the house and back-yard.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you know what's sad? I bid on it thinking I wouldn't win... didn't realize it was a dutch auction with 15 to sell. I kinda wasn't expecting to buy it simply because I have absolutely nowhere to put it. Guess it'll give me the motivation to clean up my room and find a place, huh?

But I get to use my brand spanking new ebay anything points card! :D

Anyone here good at interior design? I may put up some pics of my bedroom and what few items of furniture I have and see about some suggestions of where to put things for more room. I only have a bed, desk, and nightstand thing and its PACKED. I have my dresser and tv inside my closet. Talk about a tiny room!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Awesome deal! Wish I could get rid of the monstrosity I have and get one like that. Your cats will love it! :D

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I LOVE it. I might by one very similar from the same seller.
How can you tell when its a dutch auction. I don't see where it tells you how many they have available. I thought it used to be right underneath where the price is listed, but can't find it there anymore.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really liked one of his other ones... the white one with the hammock on the bottom. I really wanted one with a hammock but like I said, this was a complete impulse buy. I'm glad to hear it was a good price... now I'm getting really happy about it. My friend Joy will be too... she's been trying to get me to buy one for months!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm jelious too! I wish I would have seen that-Even $50-$60 isn't bad for a tree like that, and I could sure use a new one!!!!! Maybe I'll go browsing Ebay now and get lucky!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
AddFran,

Right underneath the start time it has the quantity listed for a dutch auction.

Looks like a great deal for the price. Hope it's as good as it sounds.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BoscosMum said:
What is a 'dutch auction'?
I also love the white one with the hammock :D
I REALLY love the white one... but its just way too big and expensive for me right now.

I had never heard of a dutch auction until after I bid on the item. I'm not sure I completely understood the explaination on ebay. I get that there are more than one item available, say 10 or 15 or so. People still bid on the items as much as they're willing to pay. I thought everyone would pay the same amount (the winning bid) but when I looked at the list of buyers after the auction ended, some paid $15.50, I paid $16, and someone way up ended up paying like $50 on it! So I really don't quite understand them... but as long as I get a good deal, let it be a mystery!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I thought that it shows your max bid for each bidder. When the auction is over, everyone pays the amount specified by the lowest bidder. Is that incorrect?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you bid on a Multiple Item Auction, you specify the number of items you're interested in and the price you're willing to pay. All winning bidders will pay the same price: the lowest successful bid.
Successful bids are displayed when you click on the link reading, "see winning bidders list" link. The complete bidding history (including any unsuccessful bids) is displayed when you click on the 'bid history' link.
But when I click on "winning bidders list" this is what comes up:

Jul-29-04 05:56:16 PDT US $35.00 1 judscandace2005( 2 )
Jul-30-04 12:58:49 PDT US $16.00 1 luv2sk8hrdr( 0 )
Jul-30-04 17:42:55 PDT US $16.00 1 osnobunnieo( 10)
Jul-30-04 17:43:44 PDT US $15.50 1 faywah( 1 )
Jul-30-04 17:44:28 PDT US $15.50 1 kdpetunia( 2 )

Lowest successful bid is minimum bid amount.

So I just assumed that two people paid $15.50, two paid $16, and one paid $35... but when I looked back over my payment, I only paid $15.50, so I guess that's what everyone paid? I kinda like these dutch auctions now :)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Yes, sounds like it is definitely in your favor to bid on dutch auctions. Normally on eBay you are competing amonst others for the same item. If there are X amount of items up for grabs, it lessons the chance of ending up in a last minute bidding war with someone!

Although, I must admit, I do find those last minute bidding wars to be kind of a rush! :)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think they're a rush too... too bad I always end up losing! I had a nice little break from ebay... no stress, more money in my pocket, it was nice. I think I may be slowly getting sucked back in. HELP!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts