Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first posting. I got a new kitten last week, he is 7 weeks old. I have noticed in the last couple of days that he tries to bite me at any chance he gets. Now I see him do this when he is excited and wants to play, but he tries to bite hard then and when I go to pick him up or pet him. A friend told me that I should put him down and ignore him for two minutes, although I don't think he understands or learns by that. He just goes and plays with something else. Any solutions???? :?

Thanks,
CRL

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Kittens need to be with their mother until 12 weeks of age. So kitty being so young, he hasn't learned that biting(or suckling) isn't allowed yet. To prevent kittens from biting, my technique is just to pull my hand(or foot) away, walk away and go about doing something else. Kitty quickly learns that biting won't get it any attention. Same goes for scratching. I've had luck with this technique pretty well.

Also, do not use body parts to play with kitty! Make sure kitty is always playing with a toy and not your hand!! All my kitties are no biters or scratchers :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It's a little dangerous to try to *pull* away, you can get hurt. The best thing is to let your hand go completely limp whenever he attacks it. He'll lose interest and walk away. Try to keep a lot of toys on hand to distract him with, so he has another more suitable target. Distraction is a good method of channeling his energy into acceptable places. And NEVER EVER play with him with your bare hands (or feet!). If you do, you'll confuse him as to when it's okay and when it's not. Skin is *never* an acceptable target.

He is way too young to have been taken from his family, so much of the job of socialization now falls to you. You might want to do some reading up on kitten development. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... ecommended

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bitting kitten update

I noticed that soon after I posted the original message, she was getting very agressive and bitting almost on purpose. At first, I tried to pull my hand away, walk away, and ignore her, but she didnt get the message. I then decided to put her into her cat carrier the second she began to get agressive and bite. I think she is getting the idea. My boyfriend and I are very careful about having her not associate us (our hands or feet) with playing. We'll see if it works. Is this a good idea??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Associating feet with play

I forgot to mention this, I noticed that my kitten is understanding that my hand is not to be bitten or played with, but I don't think she understands that feet are part of that too. When I play with her I try to keep my feet still and away. Is there anything else I can do??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts