Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued 2 kittens last Thursday. Brother and sister. Both seemed very healthy other than the usual ear mites and fleas as expected on abandoned pets. A visit to my Vet cleared both babies of FLV. They were treated for ear mites and the usual worm testing and early enoculations. Now my male kitten is sick. Lethargic, vomiting clear substance, no appetite, and stool is very watery light green.

I don't understand! My Vet said they looked great! We've been going to this Vet for years!

Can anyone help?

Thanks for Baby Willie.

Sally[/b]

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Separate your other animals from this cat immediately. Ok, so he is throwing up a watery substance? I dont want to be weird, but my sister had a problem like this and it was highly contagious.
Have you talked to your vet about this problem yet? Call him in the first thing in the morning and give him the symptoms.
Make sure kitten has been tested for FIV, and especially feline lukemia.

BTW, the vomitting of clear substance is 'fluids'. It's caused because there isn't any food in kitties tummy to throw up, so it goes to the next best thing. You MUST make sure kitty gets a LOT of fluids. Dehydration is a high risk right now... To test for dehydration, pull the kitties skin and let go. If it goes straight back to its formal position, he's fine. If it takes a couple seconds or doesn't go back, he is dehydrated and he must get to the vet. He then may have to be on antibiotics, IV's for fluids, etc.

Be sure to keep us up to date

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the contagious virus in your sister's cat? Willie tested negative for FIV and FLV. I have 2 older cats indoors. How is this virus spread?

Thank you so much for your response.

Sally

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It was in my sister, not her cat lol. Anyway, she passed it to our grandma, hubby and her mother-in-law. Her hubby almost wasn't able to witness their baby being born because he was sick!

As for the name of the 'human' version of the virus, I'm not sure. But she grew very dehydrated from this experience(even worse because she was pregnant). Her mother-in-law and grandma didn't ever share her drinks, etc. so it must be an air-born virus. At least, I ASSUME it. Lots of diseases that we humans can get, their is an animal(cat) version of it, such as HIV(FIV).

Your vet is your best vet. If he can't help, try another vet. Some vets know something that the other forgot, and vice versa. No vet remembers absolutely everything on a day-to-day basis!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry! Thought you were referring to the virus in her cat! LOL I'll be sure to call my Vet ASAP. Thanks for your help.

Sally

·
Registered
24 Posts
It might be just a reaction to the treatment it got at the vet. That happened to my kitty when we got her check up/shots. so we took her back and they gave her another, and she was fine after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts