Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I FINALLY got him today (will post pictures later). He is the CUTEST kitten! He is very social, he was out playing only about an hour or 2 after I got him home. I keep putting him in his litter box but he never uses it......how long does it usually take? Also, I put food and water out, I can HEAR his stomach growling so I know he's hungry but he won't eat.

He is really tired.....and he just wants to sleep. He keeps going back into the crate I brought him home in. Is it normal for them to sleep a few hours after they get home? Like now if I try to take him out to play he just lies down and then goes back into the crate to sleep.

Anyway, he is really cool....lots of Siamese personality and the voice too!!!! I clipped his claws already cause he's wild when he wants to be!

·
Banned
410 Posts
Every time I have brought a new cat home, it wouldn't eat for awhile. I was always scared that they would starve, but eventually when they get hungry enough--they'll eat. I'm sure it is the excitement of being in a new and strange place. Your kitty will come around. I am not sure about the litter thing. I just put the litterbox where I wanted it and took the cats to it and placed them in it once, after that...they always went there. I guess that could be from being scared and stuff too. It seems like every cat that I have got wanted to hide under the bed for days and days once I brought it home. It was disappointing because I just wanted to love on them, but they wanted to hide. Eventually they must have gotten lonely enough that trusting me seemed like the better option. Oh well, they are strange creatures--just hang in there!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When I brought my kitten home I recall that it was a while before he went to the litterbox. Just continue to bring him to it, I've heard someone say to hold their front paws and scratch the litter with them. It is a cat's natural instinct to use a litter box so as long as he knows where to find it, I'm sure he'll use it when he's ready. I think most kitten accidents happen when they can't find the box.

I recall the same thing with the food and sleeping. It took him a while to eat (again, make sure he can find the food dish) and he slept a lot. Sometimes he was hard to find. It turned out that while he was small enough to fit, we was climbing up inside my desk and sleeping in the top drawer. I used to see him coming from the desk after a long nap but I just thought that he slept underneath. It was so cute to open the drawer one day and find him curled up inside. Wish I had a camera with me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
How exciting! Can't wait to see the baby pics! :D

As long as the litter box is in easy access there shouldn't be a problem. I'd just keep a close eye on him and if it appears as though he's sniffing in one area more than usual or starts sratching, bring him to the litter box. If he doesn't have to go then hopefully he'll remember where the box is when he has to go.

And his first day in his new home is a tiring one so sleeping afterwards is normal. It's a lot to take in for a little kitten so all the activity I'm sure made him want to take a nap.

I'm glad to hear that you've already trimmed his nails. This is the best time to start so he gets used to it. If you continue trimming his nails and handling his paws it will make trimming his nails as an adult MUCH easier.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'm so happy for you! You've been waiting a long time. That's good, though, because you don't want to rush a kitten away from it's mother and litter mates. Kittens don't usually eat the first night or often, the next day. Remember, he just left his whole world behind him. It's amazing that they adjust as quiickly as they do. Congratulations! You are now owned by a kitten. @@@

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He ate!!!! I put a piece of food in front of him and he ate it, so I brought over the dish and he ate like half of it! He still hasnt' had anything to drink or used the box....but he is staying in our bedroom for a while until he gets used to it....so he should have NO problem finding the box! He is SO playful though.....when he woke up from his 3 hour nap he was meowing and sooo curious! Now he's napping AGAIN!

He's so fun!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congrats! I hear ya on being worried about the eating, drinking and sleeping - I had the same concerns with mine when first home new... like everyone says give it a little time. Glad to hear he finally ate something, and I'm sure he'll get around to drinking when thirsty too :p

Even now when I see my lil girl drink it isn't much, however I have a pretty big water bowl comparred to her lil head and body... but there's evidence of good hydration in her litterbox, usually about a 2 for 1 ratio per # 1 to #2 - make sense? :wink:

More rest they get, more active they'll be when awake - enjoy the lil bugger! :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He peed in our bed!!!!!!! I kept bringing him to the litter box but he would just jump right back out and get back into bed with us. He has eaten quite a bit.....but it's NOT fun getting up at 5am to wash the sheets.

Anyone know why he didn't go to the litter box? He peed like RIGHT where I lie. And did he ever pee! I didn't know a little kitten's bladder could be so big! Anyway, I'm hoping to not experience that again tonight.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I have heard of that happening when other people first get a kitten that was already litter trained. Ask the breeder what kind of litter she used. If she goes on paper, move the paper to the litter box. I feel certain this is a short lived problem. I hate to see her banned to the bathrom, but if she's is iin either a cage or a small room, it might help. Just a few ideas off the top of my head. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have been told that if a cat's litterbox problems persist, you have to confine them to a small area with the litterbox until they learn to use the box. Hopefully you won't have to do this. Good luck.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He peed again today at 6am in our bed! Uhhh!!!! I called the breeder and asked what kind of litter she is using so my boyfriend is out buying that now and we'll see if that works!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I had litterbox problems with my cat for a while and I received a lot of help from the hotline at

www.catsinternational.org

They devote themselves to helping people with cat behavior problems in the hopes that they will not have to get rid of their pet.

I also wonder if the cat can still smell his urine on the bed from last time and therefore thinks it is the place to go. I've heard about this before because even though you wash the smell out, the cat can still detect it. There is probably a product you can buy that will remove the scent so the cat cannot detect it. Maybe the hotline can tell you what that is.

Hope you can fix this problem. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
To get rid of the odor, you have to use a cleaner with enzymes. I know you washed the sheets and mattess cover, but perhaps there is a lingering odor on the mattress. Here's hoping this problem is over soon. Otherwise, I would confine him to a small area when you're not there to put him in the litter box. Good luck. I feel confident this won't last long.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maleke where is the litterbox in location to your bed? Luckily my lil devil has used the box everytime since she came home with me. For the first week I kept her only in the bathroom with box, food & water. She was healing her spayed incision and was told to keep the running/jumping to a minimum, but even if she was already fixed I still would've limited her to one room only until I knew she was using the box for a couple days... then I let her out to the bedroom which joins the bathroom so she wouldn't have long to go or forget where box is.

I know your situation might be different getting him from a breeder and maybe being more free to roam around, while my girl was cooped up in a small shelter cage with everything (litter, food & water) close quarters - maybe that's what your needs to train em.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll let us know the progress.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The litterbox is across from our bed....like at the opposite end of the room. But the room isn't THAT big. He should be able to see it no problem.

Man, I hope this clears up soon....I feel so bad for the little guy stuck in the boring bathroom all day when he could be napping with my boyfriend in our warm bed during the day until I get home (he works nights :roll: ). When I get home I let him out of the bathroom and he hangs out with me until I go to bed (he gets the crazies in the evening so he needs room to run and bounce!). But I keep our bedroom door shut....don't want to tempt him with the bed! Boy does he hate going back into the bathroom though when we have to go out! He meows like CRAZY!

Poor kitty :(

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I assume when you confine him to the bathroom you place the litterbox in there. Does he use the box when in the bathroom? If he uses the box regularly other than these couple accidents, then I would think that he is probably picking up his urine scent on the bed as a familiar place to go. Hope you can work this out.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got him Saturday and as of today he has NOT used the litter box once. Only peed on the bed. He has only peed too, no pooping......but he is eating a ton and drinking like crazy. Yes the litter box is in the bathroom with him......we'll see if he will rather pee on the floor or in the box now! If it's on the floor I REALLY don't know what I'll do!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Earlier in this thread I posted a link to a website that has a help hotline. Please call them. They will be glad to help you and are very educated on cat behavior problems. They want to see you work things out with your kitty as much as the rest of us here do. They work primarily on a return call basis so leave them a message and the best time to call you and they WILL call you. I must have spoken with them a dozen times a while back when my cat was having litterbox problems as well. It turned out he didn't like the litter.

Have you tried a different litter at all? Some cats (mine for one) have an aversion to scented litter.

Please call them. Problems like yours are the whole reason they are there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If he's eating and a lot too then he has to poop soon! My 4-5 month girl goes at least every 24-48hrs... so if he doesn't go #2 in a day or two maybe somethings wrong. You sure there's no lil tootsie rolls hiding under the bed, under something or in a corner? :twisted:

That http://www.catsinternational.org website says:
Everclean ES (formerly known as Everclean HD) is a favorite with the cats and cat owners we have helped through our Behavior Hotlines. A good second choice is Scoop Away Fragrance Free. (We do not recommend clumping litters for kittens under the age of four months.)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it seems to be getting better. He pooped in the box at some point, but still no pee. So as soon as he pees I'll be happy! Thanks for all your help!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts