Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my little Mumma had her 1st litter (4 kittens) just over 4 weeks ago. (She's a great Mumma & the bubs are all happy & thriving) But since then my quiet, placid, cuddly mate has turned into a mega pain in the butt.
She meows all the time & I mean all the time! She wants wet food all the time, but isn't hungry as she picks out the bits she wants, no matter what she's given. Has dry food available always. She's under foot all the time meowing, when I tell her to show me, she goes from 1 thing to another wanting everything. She just won't settle unless she's feeding bubs & it's like she really doesn't know what she wants. She never comes for scratches or cuddles. She's not sick or in pain, it fully behavioural. She's like a completely different cat....
HELP......馃

Registered
I think she's just trying to be a good momma cat. This is a new experience for her. Yes, the wet food is better to feed her while she's nursing, so I would not give her any dry food at all. Feed her meals, at least 4 times a day, and she should have access to fresh water every day. It could be she is not getting enough food to nurse her 4 kittens, and this may be why she is so demanding and restless.

Registered
How do you know it's fully behavioral? Cats are experts at hiding pain, and drastic changes in behavior can signal that. She may just be anxious about being a new mom, or there could be something physical going on. Have you discussed this with your Vet?

Registered
Just a question - how do you know she is not sick or in pain? She might be telling you that she is with all this noise.
So - first thing is to have her checked out at the vet.
If she checks out healthy, then I suggest just trying to give her all the food she wants, wet food only, and feed her whenever she wants it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts