Cat Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Going to take Sherbert back to the Vet for a follow up next week as soon as some funds come in. He is no longer scratching at his ears, there is no redness and i have given him ear drops for the recommended time. Not a single ear twitch in response to sound.

I know deafness caused by an infection can clear up over time But at his age the swelling in the ear canal may cause it to be permenant. Of course I am feeling horribly depressed over all this, After all his health and well being are my responsibility and I feel like a failed him.
I know its just me but I can't help it. I just wonder if there was something I missed, anything I should have noticed. Maybe if I could have gotten him to a vet, but it was the weekend and getting in to a vet before monday can be impossible unless they are bleeding or considered life threatening.

·
Registered
231 Posts
you did not do anything to fail your kitty!!!!!!!! you are a VERY good kitty momma!!!!! People and animals get sick and things don't always go back to 100% of their previous normal.

I know you have a really good relationship with your vet. Call the office when they open up and ask if you can talk to the vet. If the vet thinks it would be helpful to bring Sherbert in earlier than next week ask if you can leave a post-dated check. I'm sure your vet would accommodate you in this way.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Thanks Gabby. I know I didn't really fail him, it just feels that way. my depressive fits is one of the reasons besides loving them that I have pets.

I have to spend the next few days doing parent/teacher things at the schools for my kids classes next year so the mornings are out and my Vet does surgeries in the afternoons. most of which are spay\neuters for the rescues she supports, so can't get in before Monday at least. But she will see me if I walk in early monday easy.

As to the check, she allows me to pay a small amount sometimes 10 or 15 dollars and pay the rest "whenever". As I have always paid up in a few weeks if I was able. I just like to have something to give her, after all my fur babies health is in her hands. Plus she has fallen in love with Sherbert.. he is such a charmer.

I will have to post his kitten pictures sometime.. I just have to take them to get them digitized.. they are all on old Polaroids lol

i guess i worry because I lost 2 of his siblings in the last year and they were 4 months younger then him.

·
Registered
231 Posts
oh no! you already lost 2 kitties this year! that's soooooooo sad. Now I understand why you are so scared about Sherbert. Is he eating normally?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Since I changed his diet, he is eating better then ever, put on some weight and improved his muscle tone. He is still prone to sneezing, but he always has, it mainly seasonal.

Paws and Squeek were the cats I lost. I will post their stories up later if people want to read them. They were genetically his siblings and not just other cats in the house, actually the other cats I have are genetic relations to him also. They are from the only litter he ever fathered.

Paws had a stroke in November and Squeek died of Cancer last May.

And to update.. still not a twitch this morning.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wonder if there are steroid ear drops for kitties. Steroids are really good for reducing inflammation/swelling. Ask your vet about this when you take him in next week.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just got back from the Vet. The infection is under control and ears are almost fully clear. But it official, he's deaf. He has adjusted really well though and the other cats make allowances for him and tend to walk around him and face him before meowing. lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
Aw, Poor Sherbert! It could have been worse though, well done to you and your kitties on how're you're handling the change. Sherbert is GORGEOUS, might I add :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Funny thing, The aid at the Vets office SWORE that there was no way Sherbert could be over 6 years old :smile:

Thanks i think he is a gorgous cat myself, just don't tell him that, he may feel spoiled or something.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts