Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have known better since I knew that he has food allergies, but several months ago I switched his food to something a little cheaper. I have since put him back on what he was eating before.

To make a long story short, his bum right around and on his nub are itchy to the point that he's knawing them till the fur comes out and last night I noticed that his nub was bleeding from his chewing. I gave him a bath last night in that nasty smelling tar stuff that's supposed to help with itching and scaling.

He really needs to wear and E-Collar so that he can't get to his butt, but getting one on him will be difficult. So do any of you owners of stubborn rotties know of a way to trick him into sticking his head in an e-collar without freaking out?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Not a rottie owner, but Guinness really freaked out with an ecollar too.
I ended up getting him a bite-not collar. They can still see so they tend not to freak out as much.
Maybe your vet has quick access to one. Otherwise I'd highly recommend ording one, but that doesn't help for right now.

http://www.bitenot.com/

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've never seen one of those before. I'll be calling the local pet store asap.

·
Banned
316 Posts
That collar was what I was going to suggest as well!

With a dog that large, an E collar can be destructive to your house! lol

I know from when we had to have one on Dakota when he had his corneal ulcer!!

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
I told my friend who has a cattle dog and had sugery on its back leg about this collar.
It worked for one day and then Boomer figured out how to bend it to get to his leg.

maybe it would work on cats who arent as
persistant??? but I wouldnt recogmend it for
dogs anymore now that Boomer out foxed
us on it!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've never actually used that Bonafido collar.
I have used the bitenot collar and it did work great. It's hard plastic with a soft fabric trim for comfort. It's basically like a cervical collar. No way to bend it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the bitenot collar and it's on its way to me. I should have it by Tuesday I hope. I know it will be much easier to get Bear to wear it than an e-collar.

Thanks for the recommendations. I didn't have any idea that there were alternatives to e-collars.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I hope he takes well to it!
Guinness did much better with that than with the typical e-collar.
Although it is still a collar so he's not going to like it. They can see and hear so they don't panic, but it did take Guinness some getting used to. He likes to curl up when he sleeps and the collar makes it so they can't bend their necks so he had to adapt to sleeping more outstretched. So for him I think it was a little uncomfortable in that sense, but still 100% better than the old cone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts