Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we had severe thunderstorm roll thru. It lasted several hours with lots of thunder, lightning and wind. Little Squeek hid under the coffee table at the first thunder, then later she kind of belly crawled to the bedroom and hid in the closet until it passed, poor thing. Lickorish didn't seem very bothered, she was relaxing in the sherpa carrier. This was the first thunderstorm we've had since we got them, so we didn't know how they would react.

Today a cleaning crew came in to do spring cleaning, Squeek was a little nervous, but stayed at a distance and watched them most of the time..she did do some belly crawling when she needed to move due to cleaners getting close. Lickorish hid under the bed until well after they were gone, and then when she started to come out, she acted scared of me too! She eventually got over it.

Guess my kittie are scared of different things. Squeek is the more social one, but is still nervous around strangers, esp strangers with vacuum cleaners:yikes:yikes

·
Registered
252 Posts
My Josie is a scaredy little thing, too. She hides under the bed whenever I vacuum, and she doesn't like thunder, either.

I have a Thundershirt for my anxious dog, Clyde, and it does seem to take the edge off a little bit. I saw that they now have the Thundershirts for cats. I don't think I'd ever be able to get one on Josie, but I'm sure it's a possibility for some cats.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never heard of a thundershirt. How does it work?

Thunderstorms are a rare occurrence around here, so I'm not too concerned. We get more earthquakes than thunderstorms. She just looked so pathetic. I really expected Lickorish to be scared of the storm, as she is usually the scaredy cat, but she was just fine with it. Now strangers and vacuum cleaners, thats another story!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
poor little girls

oh, that's so sad about squeek's belly crawling. poor kid. our first kitty did not like july 4th over here and hid for quite a while, too. she actually found a whole new hiding place that we hadn't even thought of. we couldn't find her for a few minutes and we almost panicked and thought one of us had accidently left a door open and she'd escaped outside. luckily my husband finally found her under the futon. once we found her, though, we did our best to soundproof it as much as possible. it looked pretty crazy with all the pillows and blankets piled all around it. we even put a radio with a little light music playing inside the fort for her all night. i felt so bad for her.

i dread the 4th of july now!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank goodness we don't get much fireworks around here for Jul 4th. The city has a ban on fireworks (although I do sometimes hear some contraband firecrackers or something in the distance) and usually its so dry that time of year that people are afraid of starting fires.

Earlier this afternoon a helicopter flew over, fairly low, while Lickorish was sitting in the open window. I was quite surprised that she wasn't frightened by that. Just never know what will and won't scare them.

It is funny to watch when they are on the bamboo floor and get startled. That floor is rather slippery for them, and when they get scared, like when the doorbell rings, they kind of run in place, like in a cartoon, before they sprint up the stairs to their safe area.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
love that sliding around on the slippery floor

yes, i can't help but chuckle a little when our Angel slips around on our linoleum in the kitchen when she changes direction too fast. her back feet just slip out from under her before she gets going in the right direction again. but i tell her i'm laughing WITH her, not AT her. :wink

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.