Cat Forum banner

My precious foster kitten.

983 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Leazie 
#1 ·
So, I told my rescue that I wanted a break - because over the summer I had four different litters at a time. Not exactly the easiest thing to do/take care of, but I did it and I'm glad I got to help so many babies.

Me taking a break didn't last long, infact I didn't really ever take a break - I have had two adult foster cats for a while now, they just unfortunately haven't had any interest..

So even though I still want to be on a break, I caved and decided we could take in one more cat. I had to turn down the rescue multiple times while they called asking if I could take a kitty in, so I was eager to tell them I was able to take in one more cat.

(My boyfriend is so awesome for putting up with it all!)

As it's gotten so cold outside - that's why I thought long & hard about taking one more cat, I just feel so guilty knowing I could handle another cat in the house and not doing it, because I just keep thinking about them being out in the cold cold cold!!!

This little guy was on the streets, they found the mom and this kitten & are working on trapping the other kittens, they believe there are 3 more outside. I'm hoping they find the whole family, and that they all can be rescued and be safe. It's so BRRR out there.

I am glad that they want them fostered separately in hopes of better socializing, etc. I am also glad that the rescue isn't pushing MORE on me than I can handle. This one kitten is going to be fun because I can focus on it. (I am unsure if it's a male or female yet)

I picked it up from the rescue guy tonight, and I have a cage all set up for it in the finished basement for now with the other foster cats. I'm going to call it a she for now, out of habit. She is going to get her vaccinations on tuesday and the plan is to move her upstairs a few days later, so she can see our every day life and get used to the sounds and life that we lead, and also to learn we aren't evil or something to be afraid of.

When I was just down there a half hour ago, she's only been here for probably 2 hours, she gave me slow love blinks while watching Thomas O'Malley (other foster cat) rub up on me. I think it's good for her to see my interactions with the other kitties.

Anyways - here are some pictures - hope you enjoy; I'll have better ones soon enough. She's GORGEOUS.

:thumb

See less See more
#6 ·
UPDATE: So I'm pretty sure that she is actually a he, now that I held him this morning. & what that means is... I have officially named this cutie; Meet Elvis!

For some reason he really looks like an Elvis to me. He's completely adorable and fluffy; he was found in a town outside. It breaks my heart to think of any of his siblings being outside in this cold, and to top it off it's raining today, and it just reminds me of how the snow is coming. WHY can't people just spay & neuter? This drives me crazy. All of this could be controlled and not like it is right now with all of these helpless kitties outside fighting to survive. It drives me crazy [but that's a whole other story.]

I'm not quite sure how old Elvis is yet, he's going into the vet & they'll estimate his age for us. He's really small, I am going to weigh him tonight so that we can keep an eye on this & make sure he's gaining weight. All in all for a cat that was born outside & has been living outside he looks amazingly healthy. :]

We JUST got him last night - & so I wanted to kind of let him just hang and relax for the night, and so this morning when I went down I decided to follow the advice the rescue guy gave me [Not sure if it's exactly the correct advice but it is what has worked for him in the past with socializing] and I picked him up and wrapped him in my t-shirt [he said towel but I figured the t-shirt would smell like me] and petted him, rubbed his face, etc. He actually was really good, he didn't run away from me and didn't even fight me. He clearly was scared, BUT, he wasn't fighting me, so that's good. He told me to just keep doing that, and it should help me figure me out as not such a bad person. Last night when I went downstairs to visit him before bed he did give me love blinks, I think it helps that he sees my other foster kitty loving on me. <3 Thomas O'Malley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.