Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shy white female cat is attacking her brother. The last couple of times she has taken a mouthful of fur. He was not hurt.

I don't know how to stop it or why.

:blackcat

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Is she spayed? and is her brother neutered? Is neither one is "fixed", you need to get this done first. How old are they? Have they always played well together until now?

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
Sometimes my twins play very rough and there are tufts of fur flying. It bothers me more than it bothers them, so I don't officially break it up, but I distract them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do they each have their own source of food, water and their own litter pan? It could be the female is having some hormonal issues (spay does NOT mean no hormones at all) and is being aggressive to the male because she feels the need to be territorial; like a female would be while pregnant or just after giving birth and defending the kittens. What is the neutered male doing while sister is attacking him? Is he being assertive, aggressive or intiminated? Does he participate during her attack, try to get away or just put up with it until the attack ends? If he is just hunkering down and letting sis have her way, he is just hoping she will stop and go away. If he is participating with the attack, is he joining in the 'play'; even though it seems to you like it is an attack, it could be play.

Think about the differences in a true attack and a play attack.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no they share a bowel of food and water but we have food and water in 3 places. (free fed) He is trying to get a way but she chase him and backs him in a corner. He has no claws and she does. We got him and he had no claws. I always catch the tale in of it.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Sometimes it can be one incident that will change a relationship between cats (whether related or not) that will change a friendship into hatred by one of them. I had one such incidence many years ago when a half-brother, half-sister got along well as kittens, but then the female attacked the male when he got too close to her kittens. He never forgave her for that and since that one incident attacked her, sometimes just out of the blue, other times if I paid any kind of attention to her at all. He never did get over his hatred of her, and when he died, she was a very happy cat who felt free to move around and seek out my lap and became a very loving cat instead of a fearful one. So it may be that this cannot be resolved, but you can try playing with them together, giving them treats together, all good things happening when they are together and maybe you can change her mind about him. Lots of praise too when she is being nice to him may help. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts