Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My 3 month old kitten, Dusty, has been 'baby sneezing' for the past 3 days. I bet she sneezes 100 times a day! It's usually when she's sniffing something - she never sneezes when she's sleeping or eating - and she doesn't have any other symptoms. She's playful and eating well. I took her to the vet yesterday thinking there might be something in her nose but her nose is way too tiny and the vet wasn't able to see anything. She checked her for respiratory issues and she's fine. The vet said just to watch her.

These sneezes aren't big and loud but those 'fssssts' kind - the kind they do when they dip their noses in too far into their water bowls. She is attracted to dusty corners - I'll clean and clean but she'll always find the dust (hence her name).

I also worry as this started not too long after getting a cat drinking fountain. Could the charcoal bleed into her water and cause this?

Does anyone else have a kitty that sneezes a lot but is fine in every other way?

Everytime she sneezes, my heart sinks as I just don't want her to be miserable.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The one time when Murphy started sneezing a lot, I tried removing fish from his diet, and what do you know . . . he stopped sneezing. Are you feeding any fish-flavored foods, or is fish an ingredient in anything? It might be worth a try to stop feeding that and see what happens. It wasn't until after that episode that I learned a lot of cats are allergic to fish.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually tried SD Salmon kitten food about 4 days ago. She currently eats SD Chicken kitten food so thought she might like something new. She liked it at first but then turned her nose up at it so haven't fed her any since. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for posting your video - that's exactly what Dusty does - sneezes, shakes heads, licks nose....oh, it'd be nice if she just grows out of it like your kitty did :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But shes doesn't do that coughing thing - or gagging thing - at the end. Just the beginning sneezy part. I wonder if Simba had something stuck in his nose that finally made it's way out?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Dusty still continued sneezing constantly throughout the day - my former vet said just to 'watch her' and make sure she doesn't show other signs of an upper respiratory infection. Well, after a month and a half, I thought enough was enough - so took her to a new Vet who sprayed saline in her nose to 'clear it out' and she has not sneezed ONCE since coming home from the Vet (and that was Monday). This Vet also uses Purevax! YAY!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
So glad Dusty is sneeze free! Yup, looks like she has a new vet! Good job for looking for the best solution for your baby.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lily sneezed so much for months, she was on a lot of antibiotics even... Covenia (never again after what I have read). Turns out it was her litter, and the sneezing cleared up after we changed her and Rocky over to Dr Elsey's which is virtually dust free. So much money spent to realize it was their cat litter xD!.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts