Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wanted to share some thoughts on my success in treating Sparkie's constipation. She'd had the problem for 2 years and had only limited success, despite some harsh treatments by the vet. I found a vet who suggested some holistic techniques and they helped. That encouraged me to find some other more natural methods, which I then shared with the vet. I've got a couple of blogs and one of them is about ideas that I've tried.

·
Registered
350 Posts
When we first took in a young female abandoned cat, she seemed healthy and thru a feline rescue organization we got her checked out, neutered and got her necessary shots etc.

Then about a month or so later we noticed she was having trouble with #2 and realized she was blocked up. Trip to the vet confirmed a blockage and they kept her overnite, gave enemas, and got her working again. The vet said she has a smaller pelvis area (?) and recommended that we give her a stool softener from the drug store. So she has been on Miralax for about a year now. I sprinkle some on her canned food in the morning.

No problems and upon checking the liter box, this is so. Also, she and our other two cats are now on more canned and less dry food...dry food is available for them always. A bit chubby now but content...

·
Registered
104 Posts
... I found a vet who suggested some holistic techniques and they helped. That encouraged me to find some other more natural methods, which I then shared with the vet. ...
I am glad your cat is feeling better! :)

However, I'd urge extreme caution trying so-called "holistic", "alternative", "herbal", "natural", etc. treatments on cats, who are particularly susceptible to liver and kidney damage from ingestion of (not to mention prone to being directly poisoned by), a wide variety of compounds :shock:

Personally, I would not (and do not) give my cats anything for which I did not have a complete ingredients list, and even then only after finding
(1) evidence that it works,
(2) information about how it works (or at the very least how it could work), and
(3) evidence that it is safe to use in a cat (or at the very least that the risks are identified and are outweighed by the benefits).

I want to point out here too that there's absolutely nothing wrong with "holistic" treatment in the strictest sense. Too often, though, "holistic" is used to mean something quite other than "treating the patient as a whole individual" :dis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand your concerns. I took everything that I'm using on Sparkie to my vet to have checked out -- both the holistic vet (who's part of my regular vet clinic) and her partner, who is a "regular" vet. They both said the ingredients are ok. I naturally agree that it should be checked out with your vet first before using anything, holistic or otherwise. Thanks for the concern.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They both said the ingredients are ok. ... Forgot to mention, too, the products (except for the Miralax) had been developed by vets and available through companies that specialize in pets.
Following your vet's advice is usually a very, very good idea! However, at least a couple of the products mentioned in your blog have their ingredients listed as a "proprietary blend", or similar cop-out phrasing; it's impossible for anyone not directly involved in such a product's design or manufacturing process to properly assess the ingredients and their effectiveness :???:

Plenty of companies who "specialize in pets" have failed to adequately test or quality-control their products for me to trust them with animals as prone to accidental poisoning as cats (Hartz, anyone?). Manufacturers' claims are unfortunately rarely worth much; those that aren't enforced by legal regulations are worth nothing :sad:

I appreciate that the questionable products aren't listed at the end of your blog post as "what worked", but please carefully consider how you're portraying them to others. I don't put much stock in anecdotes (could you tell? ;)), but "people in general" tend to prefer such individual stories over actual evidence, often to the detriment of themselves and their pets.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
I am glad your cat is feeling better! :)

However, I'd urge extreme caution trying so-called "holistic", "alternative", "herbal", "natural", etc. treatments on cats, who are particularly susceptible to liver and kidney damage from ingestion of (not to mention prone to being directly poisoned by), a wide variety of compounds :shock:

Personally, I would not (and do not) give my cats anything for which I did not have a complete ingredients list, and even then only after finding
(1) evidence that it works,
(2) information about how it works (or at the very least how it could work), and
(3) evidence that it is safe to use in a cat (or at the very least that the risks are identified and are outweighed by the benefits).

I want to point out here too that there's absolutely nothing wrong with "holistic" treatment in the strictest sense. Too often, though, "holistic" is used to mean something quite other than "treating the patient as a whole individual" :dis
I have to say traditional US vet medicine isnt always the full answer. Ive used holistic treatments which have helped remedy problems we were getting no where with using traditional meds. To qualify this statement I need to let you know we do rescue. Ive worked with over 200 cats. They come to us with all sorts of health issues. I feel like Ive seen it all! Dont discount other alternative ways to treat medical issues with cats and kittens.

Here is an article by a vet on little big cat.
Introduction to Homeopathy | Little Big Cat

I printed out your article to give to a friend facing constipation issue with two of her cats.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You do realize that current pharmaceutical drugs are based on homeopathetic drugs in many cases?
The difference is that amount of active ingredients in pharmaceutical drugs is a known entity, while the active ingredients in homeopathetic drugs varies greatly from batch to batch due to the differences in plants. Both pharmaceutical and homeopathetic drugs contain other ingredients in a "dose" - contaminates/preservatives.

It makes me laugh that proponents of each look down their noses at the other side - they are so similar in many respects.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No, they are not. "Homeopathic" "treatments" typically contain NONE of the ingredients they claim to be 'active', and unknown amounts of other ingredients.

Yes, much of modern medicine and pharmaceutical research is based on "natural" remedies. That is FAR from the... nonsense that is "homeopathy".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.