Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another little raw update from my lil fur family. :) I am only on day 15 of raw, but I can't remember very easily back to my ignorant ways of leaving kibble out 24/7 for Kyra or just handing Seymour a bowl of kibbles every night. I am just as lucky to have found Tucker as he is that I did. Otherwise, I would not have come on here and realized how bad I was being for my critters.

I have upped Seymour's food intake. Not only did I feel silly only giving him a half pound of meat a day, but he started losing weight. I now feed closer to a pound on most days. He eats anything and everything with gusto but seems to particularly like raw meaty chicken bones(backs, thighs, drumsticks).

Tucker there is absolutely NO method to my madness with feeding him. :p Some days he will get a whole prey item(he LOVES things that fall into the "childhood pet" category :lol:) Other days he gets large chunks of meat and organs. He practically mauls me at mealtime he is so excited. And may I say I have NEVER seen a cat with a better looking coat, and he is still a KITTEN. I will soon have him on primarily whole prey as soon as my various breeder animals start producing with more regularity.

Even Kyra has started eating her meat, albeit more daintily than the boys. We found her Achilles heel. Beef. Using beef meat and blood, I have been able to switch her cold turkey from canned to raw. I still have to dice the meat, but the chunks are getting bigger, and she is "stooping" to using her teeth. ;) Dainty lil princess...:roll:

I have a couple of standing ads on craigslist for raw meat from hunters, and my friends and family are on the lookout for sales and such. I am beginning a relationship with several local rabbit breeders to take their failure to thrive babies. Overall, things are going GREAT so far!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pixall did you know these rabbit breeders personally? I would feel weird asking. great to hear its going so well.

I am still part kibble part raw with Otis. I am working on figuring this all out still myself.

And at some point I want my own meat rabbits.

Updates are always wanted ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pixall did you know these rabbit breeders personally? I would feel weird asking. great to hear its going so well.

I am still part kibble part raw with Otis. I am working on figuring this all out still myself.

And at some point I want my own meat rabbits.

Updates are always wanted ;)

"Hello there, My name is may and I feed my dog and cats a whole prey/ prey model raw diet. I have a bit of an odd question for you. When/if a kit dies in the early stages, what do you do with the body? I would be more than happy to help you get rid of them, and my pets would appreciate the diversity in their diet. When/if you notice a dead kit, stick it in the freezer and shoot me an email, I would greatly appreciate it!"

Standard email I send to ANYONE selling bunnies on craigslist. Meat, pet, and show breeders ALL get failure to thrive animals, and most breeders prefer to see the lil suckers go to good use. :)

"Hi there,
I have my dog and cat on a homemade diet due to health reasons which requires raw meat, bones and organs.
If you are cleaning out your freezer burnt meats, or last years game meat I will be more than happy to take it off your hands! (if you don't want to give it away we can always work out a price!) Might as well not let it go to waste.
If you are a butcher and have no use for your bones or organs, my pets require all types of bones from any animal and I would be glad to save you the charge of having it sent off!
... If you are a hunter and have no use for carcasses, organs, etc on any wild game I will be more than happy to compensate you for bagging it during the butchering process for me (liver, heart, toungues, stomach contents "tripe", lungs, etc) I can put good use to all of this, rather than having to waste it!
Even if you are just about to have an animal butchered and have no use for the organs or other parts, might as well "recycle" them instead of paying for the extra hanging weight :)
Anything that swam, walked, flew or hopped is fine with me! My pets can eat almost anything: Beef, Chicken, Pork, Deer, Elk, Moose, Bison, Goat, Rabbit, Fish, Birds (geese, etc.) as long as it is unseasoned and not smoked.
I appreciate you reading my ad, and I look forward to hearing from you."

Posted in Farm+Garden section.

I have gotten several replies already. Feel free to alter and use them yourself! A fellow raw feeder gave me the template for the ad. :)

I plan on doing meat rabbits as well, but for now, this is a great way to open up communication with people who have them already! The mice are starting to take off. The first litter is weaned, my second female is HEAVILY pregnant(due in the next day or two), and the first female will hopefully be pregnant soon if she isn't already. In about a month(or less) the babies from the first litter will be old enough to be bred and I will set up a second tank with one of the bucks from the litter. I have enough tanks to have three or four breeding groups going at the same time. :)

Things are really getting started with speed over here, and I couldn't be happier! :) Looking into finding some locals who would want to buy a whole cow or other critter with me. Would be GREAT to have that much meat and organs!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts