Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved to Queens NY to finish school. There was an enormous feral cat colony outside. I am allergic but allowed one of them that took to me quickly to stay over on cold and/or rainy nights. I fed him daily also. This went on for about a year and my allergies went haywire. I saw an allergist and am on daily allegra now. As of March I took this kitty in and named him Sam. I took him to the vet and was surprised to find out that he was 5-6! Cats just don't live that long on the streets! The veterinarian complimented how calm and well behaved he was. He suggested that some cretin let my poor Sam out to fend for himself. That is why he is the way he is! Out of the 15+ cats outside, he came up to me the most and wasn't afraid at all. I did witness him being afraid of other people though. There is another woman that feeds the cats too and she told me that "Sam" was around for a year or possibly 2 before I came here. So that's 2-3 years on the streets!
He is such a cool cat and I am blessed to have him in my life. I don't care that I'm allergic, I'll take meds. He's obviously better with me than with his old owner. What a rotten person.

I wish it was easier to upload a pic. Any pic I tried said it was too big. It's impossible to have smaller files when you have a quality camera.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Welcome!

How wonderful that you rescued Sam. :D

Photobucket is what a lot of us use. Free and easy.

Looking forward to pictures and stories.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
What a sweet story. What a fortunate boy to have found you and lucky you that he picked you. Welcome to cat forum BTW! Looking forward to seeing pictures of him.

Half the cats we trap in feral colonies were once someones cat. Its unthinkable how cold a heart youd have to have to abandon an animal to the streets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ka-Ka-Ka-Kitty Face said:
I wish it was easier to upload a pic. Any pic I tried said it was too big. It's impossible to have smaller files when you have a quality camera.
Just upload the pictures to photobucket.com and size them there. you can then simply copy the "IMG code" directly to the catforum.com post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

I wish I could save all the cats outside. I did take one in for vaccinations and to get neutered. He was super skinny from an infection (getting into fights over the ladies). I took him to humane society to get these things done at a cheaper price. He was on antibiotics and I put 4 lbs on him. He looked great. I think he was inbred or something though...not all there. Weird cat. He constantly would be between my legs EVERYTIME I walked. He would get up from sleeping to do this if I went into another room. One day he bit me. He was just too feral, and I am inexperienced with cats. I had to go to ER and get antibiotics because I got cellulitis from the bite. I put him back outside. There's more to the story, but I am getting off topic here.

Thank you for being so welcoming.
I got one pic up of Sam SO FAR!

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Late to the party, but welcome!
I foster, tame and socialize feral cats. Most of the kittens go on to be adopted into great homes. I tend to keep all of the adult ferals that we've socialized. They just take so much time to get them comfortable with people and handling that my husband and I have invested too much of ourselves into the cat and they 'became ours' during that time...
I have found that rescued cats make *fabulous* pets. Sam is lucky to have you. :wink:
heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
991 Posts
So sweet that you've saved him! This might sound weird, but my cat allergy disappeared completely when I had my wisdom teeth pulled last year. It's bizarre, and the surgeon who pulled the teeth couldn't explain it, but it's worth a shot if you have yours and want them out!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Welcome! What a neat story! Can't wait for pictures!

Yes, upload to Photobucket. There is a drop down box where you choose your photos for upload, that will allow you to upload larger file size photos. Then just resize in Photobucket, and post here! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Samuel L. Kitty

hanging out in the bathroom window

(can't wait to move out of this teeny apt! Sam will love having a nice place, with room for a kitty tree!)

turn the lights off!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts