Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have two adorable 8 wk old kittens that I picked up yesterday from a neigbhor whose cat had kittens. The pair of them are so sweet and so fun to watch and care for, but they do most of their interaction only with each other. They will play with the family if a toy is introduced, but otherwise prefer to stand back and watch. I'm sure they are still getting to know us and their new home, but just wondered, generally, how long it will be before they will interact with us and not dart off so much when we come around. I had 4 cats many years ago and two were warm and friendly and two were very standoffish and never wanted to be in the company of people. I'm so concerned that my two little ones will have personalities similar to the latter. Any thoughts?

Also, the male kitten is pooping on the carpet. I cleaned the area thoroughly, covered it with foil (recommendation I found online) and showed him where the litter box is. I'm sure he is stressed out so we're taking it slow, but could use advice on this as well.

Thanks in advance!

Trish

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Congrats on the new babies! Just so you know....we require pictures as payment for advice! :lol:

Just keep interacting with them. IMO you get out of a cat, what you put in. So play with them with whatever toys they like. I've used food as enticement for interaction...hand feed treats. They are still adjusting and kittens are very self involved. And their litter mate is a comfort zone. So just be consistent about interaction.

8 weeks old kittens are kind of like toddlers that are being potty trained. Unless regularly reminded and having the litter box in close proximity they'll get to playing and forget until it's an emergency. Don't expect a kitten this age to go to another room, the box needs to be in the same room with them. Also, don't expect 8 weeks olds to be good about grooming either. It usually takes them till about 4 months to be good about cleaning themselves up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doodlebug said:
Congrats on the new babies! Just so you know....we require pictures as payment for advice! :lol:

Just keep interacting with them. IMO you get out of a cat, what you put in. So play with them with whatever toys they like. I've used food as enticement for interaction...hand feed treats. They are still adjusting and kittens are very self involved. And their litter mate is a comfort zone. So just be consistent about interaction.

8 weeks old kittens are kind of like toddlers that are being potty trained. Unless regularly reminded and having the litter box in close proximity they'll get to playing and forget until it's an emergency. Don't expect a kitten this age to go to another room, the box needs to be in the same room with them. Also, don't expect 8 weeks olds to be good about grooming either. It usually takes them till about 4 months to be good about cleaning themselves up.
Thanks so much doodlebug! I will post pictures just as soon as I can get them to stop running from me :lol:

I will try out all of these suggestions and will definitely keep playing with them. For treats, I've tried Greenies (read that these were a big hit), but only one kitty will eat them. Any other healthy treats that go over pretty well that you would recommend? (I'm going to owe you alot of pictures! :p )

Trish

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Trish,

Something that may be of help with the litterbox issues is to take one of the kitten's stools and place it in the box on top of the litter. This seemed to help them know where to go. I, along with my mother, have recently raised a litter of orphaned kittens from approximately 1-2 days of age to their current age of 3 months. She would nurse them while I was at work and I would take over during afternoons, evenings, and weekends. From your post, it seems that the kittens already were pretty good at using the litterbox at their previous home. But for me, this really helped with litterbox training.

It is hard to say when they will really interact with humans. You figure that my litter was hand raised, bottle fed for all but the first day or two of their lives. So they are already used to human contact. That said, they still like to explore and go off and do their own thing. It is just part of their nature. Yet when I get home to see them, they come running out of their room to see me! :) In your case, they probably will be similar. They will go running off to play and after a while, they will come to you. But hold them as much as you can without them getting squirmy. If they squirm to get down, let them down. But hold them as much as you can as I feel that will help acclimate them to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts