Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought our new stray kitty to the vet today and saw a doc we hadn't seen before. I'm sure *most* of you deal with this on some level, but here are some things that actually came out of her mouth....

"Purina One is a high quality cat food and helps prevent urinary tract infections. It's what I recommend."

"The common belief is that dry food is "unnatural" and leads to diseases including diabetes, UTI's and kidney failure, but it's really just ALL genetics. And if your cats are genetically disposed to something, we have a prescription diet for that."

"Watch out for those "natural" foods, they strip all the fiber right out of your cats diet."

and the best...

"Corn is really misunderstood. It's actually a high quality carbohydrate and is very good for your cat."

WHAT?!? :fust

Does anyone have any advice on finding a great vet that "gets it"? I also went to one who is listed on the holistic practitioners website, but they pushed every vaccine, test, etc. under the sun and even told me my cat needed xrays before she would neuter him because I told her he snores a little!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm in the process of finding a good vet myself, as I'm moving to new digs on Monday. I posted on here with my soon-to-be new location, asking for recommendations. I included a few things that were important to me such as fair rates, a clean facility, competent/helpful staff, and respect when I bring up raw feeding.

Maybe there are other people on here, who are in your region and can offer some potential vet candidates.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yeah, when I first got Azalia. She was my first cat I took her to the clinic at the ASPCA. They were the worst offenders. They had no clue about the benefits of no grain foods and when I mentioned raw, they scoffed and started preaching about bacteria. They gave me Iams as a good quality food for heaven's sake. I didn't want to push the issue since feasibly they could've taken her back and labeled me unfit to adopt, so I just dropped it.

After that, we were going to try a local vet. 2 blocks from me...what could be more convenient? I was going to board her at their kennel since we were going on vacation in 2 weeks, but she needed a checkup first. Long story short...NO!!!!

I asked a friend at work, and she recommended her vet. She is a devoted cat lady so I knew that would be at least acceptable. On our first visit, they were great and they were very supportive about raw. Although I don't think at that point, I had stared feeding her raw just yet. They really have a neutral stance on it, but if you choose to do it, they will make sure you are doing it right. I also like that if you choose not to vaccinate, they don't give you a hard time to exempt your pet medically, etc. They respect your personal choices and advise you when you are doing something wrong...they don't preach. They also ask before they do, which is great.

They are not the cheapest or the closest, but that's ok. I definitely feel comfortable taking all of my cats there.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My new vet(s) is/are WONDERFUL! Yes, I have to drive 20 minutes, and I hate having my kitties stuffed in a carrier that long. But the benefits of having knowledgeable, gentle and open-minded medical people is so worth it!

The clinic actually has 2 vets. Dr. Borret (in her 50s, I think), and a younger, Dr. Ellis who has been trained by the older vet.

I took Paizly to Dr. Borrett about her constant bladder issues. She examined Paizly and started telling me all sorts of new stuff that other vets neglected to. It was all so logical, and made perfect sense! She also said the food/kibble I was feeding is "okay for a normal cat", but wasn't really good for one prone to UTIs.

Dr. Eillis saw my other two kitties. I asked about a raw diet. "I've heard about it for dogs, but not for cats. I guess if you can do it so they get proper nutrients and maintain weight and health, go for it" I was sooo happy to hear that!

Also... they're less expensive than the local vets. For a visit that normally costs $75 in my town, they only charged me $40!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like my vet, but they don't preach and I don't talk about food. When I first switched Chairman to all wet, I asked about it and was given the whole "kibble is good for the teeth" bit. (Chairman was facing a dental cleaning in a few months based on his teeth.) I went ahead and switched him to a high quality canned, with an occasional treat of raw chicken chunks, figuring it couldn't hurt.

When I took him back in 6 months for a checkup, they commented on how good his teeth looked and how healthy he looked. I just kept my mouth shut and said thank you. It's the one issue we don't agree on, so I just don't really talk about it and they don't lecture. Same with the dogs - I get worried looks and I kennel them elsewhere (somewhere that will feed raw) - but they don't lecture, just don't agree with it. Nor do they push one food to me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does anyone have any advice on finding a great vet that "gets it"? I also went to one who is listed on the holistic practitioners website, but they pushed every vaccine, test, etc. under the sun and even told me my cat needed xrays before she would neuter him because I told her he snores a little!
I did this: I went to a few different vets. Told them that I am a die hard raw feeder and I don't do vaccines. The first vet pushed the vaccines on me. The second vet scolded me and tried to make me into an idiot for feeding raw. The third vet, a small town vet who treats both cats and dogs and farm animals, congratulated me on the condition of my cats and did not push either issue. Just asked a few questions about the raw diet (wanted to know more). He's my vet now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice! Thankfully one of the vets in the practice I've found is much better than the last two women I've seen. It's sort of amazing how different vets at the same practice can preach such different things. I'll probably keep looking around for a practice that is more inline with my ideals.

I did mention raw to him and he said, doing *homemade* not necessarily raw would be ok, but wanted me to consult with a feline nutritionist. I did that and they wanted $150 for a recipe that was using a particular supplement you had to purchase and just add ground meat. Didn't include any bone, etc. Think I'm going to pass on that!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My vet is not very knowledgable in feline nutrition either. He is one of those old school vets who still believe dry food is good at cleaning teeth (he does mention about brushing teeth is the best though). However, he is quite good at diagnosing. So I don't discuss with him about food choice, but send my cats to him when they look sick :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts