Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my husband and I sail our sailboat at a lake about 1 hour from our house. We take his truck because we usually have a lot of gear to haul with us. We lock the truck but not the trunk. We throw the car keys in our toolbox that is inside the trunk. Well…someone must have been watching us, watched where we put the keys, and watched us sail away, and then made their move.

We didn’t notice anything was gone until we pulled up in our driveway after the drive home and my husband saw he received an e-mail from Bank of America saying there was some suspicious activity on our credit card so they froze our account. We were a little concerned but not really at this point. So, I started gathering all my stuff and headed inside…only to realize, “Hmm, my purse feels light…” It dawned on me that I bet my wallet was stolen. Unzipped it and sure enough, it was gone. I went out and told Jeff, then went back in my house, yelling about every explicit under the sun, possible. Oliver was very concerned at this point!!

Thankfully, the scoundrels did not touch our camera, $6000 worth of wedding rings, or my husbands I-phone. They didn’t even steal my phone. They just unlocked the car, unzipped my purse, grabbed the wallet, zipped it back up and left.

I called the credit card companies to cancel our 2 credit cards while Jeff called the bank to cancel our 2 checking accounts. The cards were already being used. On just one card, two charges went through and 5 were pending. And I guess the reason why BOA froze our account is because Sam’s Club has a thing were you can take your credit card to the service desk and ask “Is this still working?” and they will swipe it for a $1 fee and tell you “yes, it’s still active”, so the trash who stole the cards can go start spending. DUMBEST thing EVER for Sam’s club to do! Two of the four cards had those $1 charges on it.

So, all of our accounts are frozen. Thankfully, Jeff had an old Capitol One credit card that we never use so I never got around to him putting my name on the account so I never had that one in my wallet. So, that’s all we have for money right now. Had to put the groceries on that credit card last night. We are taking off work early to go to the bank and get new checking accounts and new debit cards. And, we have to put a stop payment on all of the checks (there was a whole book of checks in my wallet).
Then, we have to call all the places that you have direct withdraw from, and change where they are withdrawing from.

It’s annoying! All my business cards, credit cards, debit cards, license, pictures, stamps, gone.

We’ve learned a valuable lesson, to never leave the car “unlocked” like that again but I've now lost all faith in humanity...and I wish very bad things to the people who did this. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yeah, it's a pain more than anything. It's our fault for leaving the trunk unlocked but it's just un-settling knowing someone was watching us. Also, I had our garage door code written on a piece of paper that I stuck in my wallet. Now they have our address and that code and could break in. Luckly, we disabled the code.

Just when I think "It won't happen to me!"..... I need to change my outlook on people and not be so trusting I guess. :(

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
wow, hope everything works out. Theives suck and getting robbed is a miserable feeling.

Just be careful with that Capital One card, they recently changed their terms and practically doubled everyones interest rate across the board, whether you were in good standing or not. I will be canceling mine very soon.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Do file a police report and let them know about the card activity at Sam's Club. To make purchases at Sam's, the person must be a member and SC will have records of their transactions and can look up the member number for that credit card purchase.
The stores also have surveillace cameras for positive photo identification.
Best wishes for an arrest...
h

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
That sucks, sorry to hear it.

Interesting about your address on a bit of paper. There are growing stories of peoples cars which have been broken into, they have left their satnav in it and have "home" programmed. It leads thieves straight to your house and they know you aren't home.

Only the week before last I found a purse outside a shop, had everything in it. I thought it was nice cause I handed it into the shop it was outside since this would be the most likely place the person would come looking for it, and the guy said I'm a true modern day samariton hehe.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes you need to file it with the police so they can inform the companies so that your social and dl wont get used

·
Registered
539 Posts
heather i'm so sorry!!! please do file a report because heidi is correct, you have to have a sam's card to get in and to make a purchase...and they should have receipts at sam's in their credit card batch report they have to run each day. There will probably even be pictures on camera of them. good luck with everything, and i hope they catch the scum that robbed you!!!!

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, believe me! The police were the first people I called and filed the report asap. I gave them all the credit card/debit card numbers that were stolen. I doubt they will ever get caught though. :evil:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
This is nothing as serious, but the only thing I've ever had nicked was my camera during a school trip. I'd taken a full film and had ONE pic left on it, and the night before we were due to leave, some little $£^& stole it. I cried for a week.

I hope it never happens to you again, nor anyone else. It's a really horrible feeling that someone has something of yours without permission.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Heather102180 said:
I doubt they will ever get caught though. :evil:
I'm sure they will. Criminals aren't known for their smarts. :wink:
If the information at Sam's turns up a name AND they get a video picture, they will be able to identify the person. Law enforcement knows many, many criminals (petty and worse) by sight/name. If the person is evasive, they will have a warrant issued and eventually, inevitably, they will screw up and get caught and hauled in on the warrant.
h

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Oh man! sorry to hear this Heather. I've had my wallet stolen twice since being in London and it was very upsetting both times. The second time someone opened my purse (handbag for UK readers) and reached inside for the wallet while I was carrying it. On the bus! With other people watching I'm sure. :twisted:

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you!!

I would think it would be a good idea to contact the credit reporting agencies (like Trans Union) so that no new cards can be opened up without your permission.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, Heather. Fingers and paws crossed that they get arrested and thrown into a nice, violent prison. :twisted:

·
Registered
533 Posts
This happened to a friend of mine. It was SUCH a horrible hassle for her. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I HOPE THOSE CREEPS GET CAUGHT!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you haven't done it already, call one of the three credit companies and have fraud alerts put on both your names and SS#s. If someone tries to open credit in your name, a fraud alert will pop up on your name and it will be denied. They're good for about 90 days. The only problem you'll have is if you want to open credit somewhere, you'll be required to turn in a paper application. It sure beats having your identity stolen!

http://www.transunion.com/corporate/per ... Alert.page

Good luck!
Terri

1 - 16 of 16 Posts