Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I are big classic rock fans. We also want our songs to have lyrics (and we are doing away with "Here Comes the Bride - whatever the real name of it is...). So, some of our choices are:

Thank you - Led Zeppelin
You Take My Breath Away - Queen (minus the first 45 seconds or so)
Something in the Way She Moves - The Beatles
Sunshine - Nazareth
I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing - Aerosmith (a newer song but they're my favorite!)
I Believe in a Thing Called Love - The Darkness (they are sooo Queen-like - the best band that has came out in the last decade - since GNR)
Sweet Child O' Mine - GNR (our song)

The Queen song (I think) we will play as our wedding party walks in, and the Nazareth song when I come in. I am also having a slideshow in the wedding while we light the unity candle with music playing then as well. Then we are going to release each pew one by one after we are married so that we get to speak to everyone - we will play "So Happy Together" - The Turtles and GNR while we do this. We aren't having a dance at the reception but will probably play music there as well...

My question is - is this going to be too informal for our wedding that is in all other respects extremely elegant. The music is "us" and I really don't want to let it go...

Also, are there any other Classic Rock love songs (I will settle for hair bands...) that you guys can think of that would be appropriate for the ceremony? Any suggestions??[/b]

·
Registered
562 Posts
No! That's such a good idea to have songs that mean things to you as a couple! Sweet Child O Mine and Thank You....good choice! :D

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
One of my favorite love songs is by Led Zeppelin - Fool in the rain. But it's a bit upbeat.

My fiance and I picked out our song: Come rain or come shine by B.B. King and Eric Clapton. It's not classic rock perse, it's blues, but might be better than hair bands. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Personalized weddings are amazing and people truly appreciate the genuine touches. It allows you to express who you two are. You can always put notes in the program to let people know why you chose those songs.

On Oct. 1 I got married and we used "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" as done by the Hawaiian singer Iz as our entry song :) People were smiling ear-to-ear b/c it was just perfect for Tim and me. It set the mood perfectly for our wedding.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Cool Cool Cool!!!! your lineup sounds great!! At one of my friends wedding the groom picked Sweet Child O' Mine for him and his mother to dance too..........it was pretty funny because she had no idea who was singing and she seemed really embarrassed....there's more to that reason but the guests all knew and understood! I think I Don't Want To Miss A Thing is an awesome wedding song....a great ballad! Maybe pull a Bon Jovi? they have some very pretty love songs, I know they are a hair band but they have really been through it all.... "thank you for loving me" is a really sweet song. I do believe that its probably the only one though that really doesn't have a depressing begining though.... my mom would know more about them! just a suggestion! ;) good luck with the rest of the planning!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yaaaay! Thank you guys for easing my mind. I was EXTREMELY worried about it. Lunarbishop - I had completely forgotten about Bon Jovi. They do have some pretty awesome ballads (I was always partial to "Always" ;) )

:D

·
Registered
539 Posts
"Always" is one of my favorite ones!!!! I recently had the priviledge to see them live for the first time!!! Lets just say that man has a great gift! I thought about mentioning "Always" but some of the lyrics are a little harsh but it is a beautiful song. I have an acoustic version of it and a non-released version! Between my mom, my aunt and I we have 3 copies of every cd including the 4 discs that were released in the collection. those cds are outstanding and i'm so glad that they finally gave the public the rest of the songs that didn't make the cut for the albums. *sorry i didn't mean to hijack the post about bon jovi! i just get carried away sometimes!*

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Of course you want songs and pieces that are meaningful to you. I would check with the pastor and the organist, however. Some organists will refuse to play certain pieces, even the traditional wedding march from Lohengrin. You will need to ask in advance, in case you need to find another organist or church. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sounds good to me. "In my life" by the beatles is another nice one.

If I ever get married I think I am going to go with Dave Matthews band songs (Crush, Crash, Rapunzel etc. ) and some classic rock.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Wedding songs

Oh, wow, great choices - you've got to go with that.
Especially 'Thankyou' - there won't be a dry eye in the house.
If Partner and I ever get married (some hope :roll: ), I want the first dance to be 'Be My Friend' by Free.
When's the big day?

seashell

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome song! We are getting married June 10th. The only thing left to do is figure out the flowers!! All the bouquets and corsages will be real, as well as the cake toppers, but the decoration flowers will be fake. The trick is to match the bridesmaid dress color to the flower colors!! :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Don't worry about what ANYBODY else thinks......what you have sounds great, especially because they are all songs that mean something to you guys.

Just cause I'm excited about my wedding which is VERY close, here are the songs we're using. (We aren't using "Here Comes The Bride", either) :)

Bridal party entrance/prossesional: Canon in D

My walk down the aisle: Aaron custom made a song for us....it is the very beginning (instrumental part) of the song "Bittersweet Symphony" that he looped a few times to make it long enough

Afterwards/Recessional: The usual song everyone uses

First Dance: "Someone Like You, Van Morrison

Father Daughter Dance: "Daughters", John Mayer

Garter Toss: "Pretty Fly For A White Guy", Offspring

Bouquet Toss: "Perfect Day"...forget who it's by but it is the one from Legally Blonde. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those are great songs too!! I think i will just play continuous music at my reception, at a lower volume, just for ambiance... :)

BTW I LOVE "Bittersweet Symphony"!! Great song! The instrumental is so unique and perfect for a wedding!!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Thanks! :D We are having a DJ, so there will be various continuous music, but those are the "specific" songs we picked out for certain moments. :)

We AGONIZED over what to have me walk to. :roll: We both hate "Here Comes The Bride". but neither of us could come up with anything else....Everything we kept thinking of was like, really cliche, and I also prefered to have something with just music, no words....We were down to the last few days we had to get all our stuff in to the DJ, and he sent me a text message at work that said he found the song. I thought he was BSing me. :lol: When I got home, he played it (the one he had looped), and I was like OMG....that is AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I had completely forgotten about that song. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts