Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! This is my little buddy! I grew up with cats and dogs but since I moved away from home more than 10 years ago, I've always wanted my own pet. Circumstances never provided the chance to adopt until recently. I think it's one of the positives that have come out of being in Quarantine due to CoVid! I was diagnosed with PTSD three years ago after a serious car accident with my dad. Thankfully, we both survived with non-life threatening injuries, though I spent a week in the hospital. I also have anxiety and severe depression. So when the lockdown came into effect here in Canada, I was essentially alone. My roommate had to stay with her boyfriend because she thought she had come into contact with someone with the virus. Thankfully she's healthy and never got sick! As someone with depression, PTSD and anxiety being alone during a pandemic isn't exactly the greatest situation, toss in a nasty break up with my own boyfriend and life wasn't a lot of fun. When things started to open again, my roommate and I discussed adoption of a little kitty and we agreed that it was time to take in a little creature to keep both of us company when we feel the world is too big. So this little guy came into our lives. He was the only one who greeted us and exposed his belly for scratches the minute we walked into his little cat room. There were two other stunning felines with him, but they weren't social and Whiskey was all in from the first moment.
Name: Whiskey K. His shelter name was Monkey so I'm waiting for his little personality to come out over the next few weeks. There's a reason they dubbed him Monkey lol
Age: apx. 3 years - though I think he might be a bit younger based on his size and that adorable little kitten-like face.
Breed: unknown, but he has some stripping in his orange fur, so I'm guessing he's part tabby and there must be some tuxie in him, given his two colours.
Personality: calm, very quiet, loves cuddles, belly scratches and being patted. He is very food and treat motivated. He obviously had a home at one point because he knows the sound of a treat bag and love people. I am expecting him to be a bit more or extroverted and scampy in the coming weeks as he is already starting to test the waters on boundaries. I won't let him on the counters of the kitchen table for hygiene reasons and have had to take him off the table a few times, but he's learning. He's a fast learner, but hates to be confined! I learned that the hard way. I have plans over the next few weeks and months to teach him some fun stuff. He's still not playing with his toys, but I'm hoping that comes along as he continues to get used to his new home. :)
History: The SPCA got Whiskey from a rescue group in our area after they found him roaming the streets. They don't know much about his past, except that he has had prolonged contact with humans and possibly a home and that he's about three years old. He is very healthy aside from some tartar on his teeth, and an exposure to a bacteria that he is preventative medication for. He has one more round of medication to get in two days and then he'll be good! He's very healthy still, and clearly adores people, food, and anything that means he get treats lol. He seems to get along with other cats as he was being lodged with two other kitties during his stay at the SPCA. He is fixed, so no baby daddy for him. :p
Why Whiskey? During my search for the "perfect" cat, I decided to look for good names for a cat, both male and female. I wasn't sure if I could rename an older cat or not, but all the research said it was usually okay if they were younger and sometimes even if they were older, depending on how attached to their name they were. Whiskey was not attached to Monkey by any stretch! He doesn't react to anything except here kitty. lol Anyway, when Whiskey came over to us in his little room, I wasn't sure what to name him; I just knew that he was coming home with us. On the way home, he was calm, with a only a few meows escaping his tiny mouth, and a sweet little nose poking out the holes of the cat box the SPCA had put him in. They wouldn't let us use our carrier because of CoVid and transferring him in the car wasn't going to work. He was too wiggly. We settled him in and headed home. I had saved a list of names for my future fur-baby and none of the first few jumped out at me. Then Whiskey came up and I glanced back at the box. His little pink and orange speckled nose was poking out and he mewed and I knew instantly that his name was Whiskey. He has that beautiful orange and amber colour to him accented by the white and my mind went to one of my favourite things on a hot summer day - a chilled glass of whiskey on ice. It was that or Apple Juice :p (just kidding I would never name a cat apple juice. He's my baby, though we are still developing our bond. He is seriously the quietest cat I've ever been around though. He's also light that he makes no noise when jumping off the bed and doesn't make the bed rattle when jumping up. He's very gentle and sweet and has had a tough life from what I can tell. He's got the best life ahead of him now and I can't wait to spend the rest of his life making sure he knows how loved and special he is. I feel like he and I have had similar lives and that's why we found one another. Now I just need to figure out how to keep him from shedding as much as he does right now! hahaha

Attachments

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
So glad you guys found each other. Enjoy the journey ahead.

Regards
Larry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts