Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a day or two ago that I was worried about my cat that kept trying to get outside. He's succeeded once and got chewed up by one of my ferals, and he kept trying. Well today my brother left for work in a hurry and didn't get the screen door closed tight and Skylar got out! I saw him about 1:00 but he spooked before I could get to him, and now I can't find any signs of him anywhere! It's been about 6 hours now since I last saw him and I'm very worried! The first time he was only gone for about 45 minutes before he was crying at the door. He's a spook, he gets scared easily, he doesn't trust any people he doesn't know very well, and even then he gets spooky with us some times. I took his collar off last night because he was driving me crazy while I was trying to go to sleep and I forgot to put it back on him this morning so in the case that someone is actually able to get ahold of him, he has no ID at all :( I've put up fliers, an ad in the paper, and left picture notices at the shelters but I feel like I'm not doing enough! There's food left out on the porch for him that I'm watching, but it hasn't been touched :( What else can I do to try to get him back home safe and sound?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
This is so upsetting. I'm praying for you. Follow these instructions:

http://www.petrecovery.com/documents/ba ... issing.htm

Also, sit on the porch late at night, and I do mean late...when it's very quiet. Put out some great smelling catfood and one of your sweaty shirts. Sit still on the porch and call him on occasion, not too loudly. Often they're quite close to home, and their sense of smell and hearing will bring them out of hiding when it's dark and quiet. You can light a candle, but don't put on the porch light. They don't need it, of course.

God bless and good luck. Please update us regularly!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that link, I've already done most of those things. Rescues and shelters have been alerted and had a picture faxed and/or e-mailed to them or hand delivered, will visit the shelters tomorrow is Skylar hasn't shown up. I'm so worried, this cat I have my doubts would survive more then a week here! He's pampered house cat, he has no idea how to take care of himself, he sleeps on my bed all day! I'm so worried about what might happen to him if I don't find him soon!

I will go out late tonight after it's dark and quiet and try softly calling him and pray that that works. I'll keep you updated, I'm praying I find him soon!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm sure he'll come back. I would try calling him - if he is close by he might hear you.

Also (not sure if this is listed) if you have woods in the back - take a friend and go out just a little into there and call - if you hear a meow - look around - and up!

I lost one of my cats for 2 days! We couldn't find him anywhere - and he never came back. I heard just a faint meow - and wandered into the woods - looked up - and there was my cat!

If you don't have woods - being stuck in a tree is very possible if you just have a couple - trying looking around - a dog (or another cat) might have chased him up a tree.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try searching the trees tomorrow morning when it's light if I haven't found him yet. We do have a really nice shed with tons of secluded spots for cats to hide. We made it that way intentionally so our ferals could have a spot to get away from anything that comes in the yard, so I'm thinking he might be hiding out in there somewhere. He's never been very good about coming when he's called, especially when he's scared, but I'm going to keep softly calling him, rattling his food dishes, etc in hopes something will work and he'll turn up. I doubt he'd go far, he's probably still on my property somewhere, but the question is WHERE? There so many places he could be hiding!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that he got out :( Good luck looking for him. Hopefully he will turn up soon! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It must be heart breaking when your cat is out on its own. Recently I've read a few threads in a Swedish cat forum about lost cats. So far all the cats has come back! They were gone for a few weeks. So don't give up hope!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone, still no luck :( About half the food I left in the shed for him last night was gone, and all of the food I left on the porches, but I have no way of telling if it was Skylar who ate it or some other cat. I thought I heard a cat in the shed last night, but I have no idea if it was Skylar or not. There's no signs of a cat there this omrining. I just came back from putting up more fliers, running them to the vets offices, and tallking to anyone on the street I saw along the way but so far nothing :( I put both my land line and my cell # on the fliers.

Thank you for that site, roger! I'm already doing all those things, but I'm glad you created that site! I saved it to my favorites so I can give it to anyone else who looses thier kitty!!!!

There where a few interesting suggestions I'll try, like the poo in a bag trick, maybe that'll work!!!

I hope I find him fast! I'm actually moving Sunday evening, and Skylar was going to stay here with my mom for the time being.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Absolutely borrow a humane trap! I neglected to mention that, and was reminded to do so when I checked Roger's website. You might have to release the neighbor's cat in the morning or even a racoon, but if you have good smelling cat food in there and your sweaty clothes hanging nearby, you very well might see your cat in there within days.

After all, you can't stay up all night. You could take turns though. The middle of the night is best...3-4 AM.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the suggestion!!!! I'm actually trying to get a humane trap right now, that's how I ended up with Skylar in the first place! He wandered into a trap when I was catching and altering the ferals on my property. The only problem is the shelter and vets offices all have thier traps loaned out, and I can't get ahold of the lady that usually helps me with the ferals!

·
Registered
151 Posts
OH, you poor thing! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :? :? :? :? :? :? 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :arrow: I'm so sad!
I'm only happy because my kitty is afe... :D but i'm still so sad over SKyler! :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:( Now I'm even more heart broken, I just got an e-mail from a family who wanted to offer Skylar his forever home. This is what I've been waiting for, he's been here for over a year while I try to find him a forever home, and now that he's lost I finally get someone that wants him :cry: I told them what had happened and hope they understand!!! I'm so worried that he's dead, my brother said he was panting a storm when he saw him yesterday. He's a pampered house cat with a nice thick, long coat of hair use to sleeping away the day in air conditioned comfort! And if he's in that shed, it's metal, it gets REALLY hot in there during the day :cry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts