Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people say they trim their cats nails - but I don't see the point really. 8O

I've never trimmed Tigger's nails - and he has never had a problem. His nails never grew to such lengths that it has hurt him... like say - how a dog's nail's grow very long - they just seemed to grow to a certain length and then stop. My dad figured it was because he went outside a lot... but all he ever does outside is sleep on the porch...

Just wondering why some people do this - not that I think it's wrong or anything - just wondering why it is done? What kind of benifits there are?

·
Registered
562 Posts
If Tigger has a place to scratch (like a scratching post or a tree outside), his nails won't get too long. Scratching helps shed the dead part of the nail and keeps the rest of it sharp. Not to mention the benefit he gets of marking his territory.

I trim my kitty's nails regularly for a few reasons. He doesn't go outside, so he doesn't need his nails super-sharp for tree climbing and defense. On the rare occasion he is naughty and tries to go after a piece of furniture, his dull nails will prevent too much damage. And I have to admit, I'm bad and play with him with my hands (a big no-no). Even though he never uses his claws on me intentionally, he does get excited and forget every once in while.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Cats nails grow.. and grow.. and grow. If they aren't trimmed, like dogs, they will eventually begin to curl. I had a cat that actually ripped a claw out with his teeth because it was to long for 'his' liking, so he took it out.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've had Kitty for 6 years and I've never trimmed her nails (she only has her back ones). She just bites them off when they are shedding. I don't know if a cats nails can become over grown like a dogs nails.

Thomas on the other hand has all his nails and I've trimmed them since I got him since he is always using them to ruin my leather furniture or draw blood when he attacks Kitty. That's the only reason that I do it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aonir said:
Cats nails grow.. and grow.. and grow. If they aren't trimmed, like dogs, they will eventually begin to curl.
I'm wondering if I miss him doing that kind of thing... but I've never seem him do it before. I've also never had a cat who's nails had curled over like a dogs... weird!

Does it help to keep them from scratching as deep? Like if they are playing with another kitty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clipping claws

George. Lulu & Rudee get a regular nail trimming. Kitties claws are needle-like and they can get hung up on things like rugs, blankets, toys. I noticed a friend's cat that hadn't been trimmed and his claws had curled around into a tight circle, putting great pressure on his paw; once clipped, there was an impression of the curled claw in his paw pad. Ouch!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I trim Tierneys nails about once every 10 days or so. They start to get sharp, and even though he uses his scratch post, he tends to go for the couch and chairs everyonce and awhile. Plus... he will still attack our feet when we sleep at night, and while he will never claw us on purpose, he tends to let them out once and awhile. They get sharp if they havn't been trimmed!

The new kitten we get will get hers trimmed to, They are VERY long right now, but she is at the shelter so i can't do anything, but if i remember correctly from when tierney was teny tiny, they tend to get in the way on kittens cause they do not know how to control them yet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts