Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some ideas for names. Mittens the barn cat has, as far as I've been able to tell, four kittens. I have only seen glimpses of them, she his them very appropriately under an old tree. As far as I can see, its one black or bicolor, mom is bi, so is at least one of the possible dads. One is very white with grey, one tortie - black with orange, and one grey solid or minimally bicolor. Boy and girl names needed as I have no idea as to the sex of the kittens.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Maybe theme names? We liked to do that with litters when I worked with rescues. Like all "a" names or maybe movie characters? It sounds like you have atleast one girl with a torti, but the other names could be gender neutral until you can figure out the genders :)

·
Premium Member
7,843 Posts
When I take in litters of kittens I always go to the baby names website and pick out a letter like D or B or R. I will name the entire litter (sometimes I take in several different litters) so name each sibling one letter name like Brady, Bella, Brandy and Bobby. I love people names and there are so many to choose from!

A fellow foster friend uses rose bush names and another uses theme names like Disney or movie names.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I tend towards Biblical names but even then, if you are looking for unisex, there are things like Jess (Jesse / Jessie).

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
It seems like our shelter's foster homes like to name in groups, often after pop culture:

We've had Disney princesses (Belle, Ariel, etc)
Candy Bars (Snickers, Pay Day, Whatchamacallit, etc)
Dodge cars (Avenger, Charger, Dart, etc)
TV characters (Sheldon/Leonard, Lucy/Ricky, etc)
Seven Dwarves (Happy, Sleepy, Doc, etc)
Harry Potter characters, Stargate SG1 characters, Golden Girls...

·
Registered
23 Posts
We just named our new baby Annabelle. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
My cat and all of her original housemates ("siblings") were named after Ohio counties. There was Meigs, Scioto, Defiance, Mercer, Putnam, Seneca, Fayette, and of course, our Auglaize. We liked her original name so much that we kept it. Not sure if you live in the US, but you'd be surprised how many county names are good names for pets!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all!
I love names that are related to things I 'm a fan of or relate to my tastes in some way, for example I just rescued this kitten and named her Luna after the character in Harry Potter.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fuzz Lightear - my daughter tried to name our kitten this, but it didnt stick. He is a shorthair so "Fuzz" or "Fuzzy" doesnt really fit.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Personally, I've always used human names for my furkids. Right now, I have Allie, Riley and Amelia. I name my dogs names that end with the ly sound. You could easily do this with boys and girls....Lily, Charlie, Bailey, Kaylie, Wesley, Emily, Bentley, Nellie, etc...

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Any Futurama fans in the house? A litter with at least one black and white tuxedo kitten absolutely calls out for that kitten to be called Nibbler. Or Lord Nibbler. Other males in the litter can be Bender, Zoidberg, Cuthbert, Hermes, or Fry. There's a bit of a shortage of female names, just Leela and Amy come to mind for main characters, although there are plenty of female robot names.
Lord Nibbler - Futurama Wiki, the Futurama database - Wikia

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
LOL! I happen to Love Futurama!
What a name 'Theme' that would be!:D
Sharon

·
Registered
212 Posts
How about for a grey and white kitten? Basically a Russian blue type appearance with white sox, white belly, white throat and white on the nose. He is VERY active, but also affectionate - at least for a kitten.

My daughter wanted Fuzz Lightear, but we arent sold. (He is a shorthair and, well, not especially fuzzy.) The fosters called him Clyde, but we dont really like it. "Normal" people names dont work for us.

I love the Nibbler idea, but "Clyde" is grey and white so it doesnt quite fit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.