Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes the purrfect name comes to mind real easily, sometimes it takes getting to know them more.
My newest foster is a little 4 month old tuxie girl with the cutest mitted feet. I am at a total loss for a name! It gets doubly hard when I have to try not to duplicate names from our rescue for the past year. sigh

This little gal is such a cutie, and a real sweetheart. I have only had her two days, so she is still in the cat iso room. She seems very, very quiet (monitoring her in case she is ill). I have a list of possible names, but nothing seems exactly right.

How do you all come up with names for your kitties? :blackcat

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
I like girls' names that are boys' names (Charlee). :grin:

So because of her mitted feet, I think Bobbie (sox) is cute.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There's always a reference behind the names of my kitties.. after things I've enjoyed, people I love or a personality trait of their own. The first feral I ever rescued is named Somebunny, like "somebunny loves you", because she was a very nasty, traumatized girl. Johnboy is from The Waltons, George is named after a wonderful friend of mine and Missy was Miss Hissy for awhile (but that was a terrible name! :roll:).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I usually name mine for baby names (human) that I love, that I can't use yet (no children in the near future yet). Hence, Zachary and Annabelle. I make a joke that I have my full alphabet... from A to Z.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I look at kitty and repeat names that come to mind looking for a reaction.
With Meme she had a very soft squeaky voice so when I said Mee Mee she turned and looked at me and said Mew Mew. That was close enough for me.
Chiquita mean "Little Girl" in Spanish and my ex was a Spanish teacher.
Samantha was named after a family Tortie that we had when I was a child.
I like names that cam be shortened, Samantha is a great name because it can be formal or fun, I could call her Sammy or just Sam for short.
Often a cat will name themselves if given a chance.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I named two of our three cats.

Oscar: He was/is a vocal boy. As soon as you walked into a room when he was younger he immediately started giving you the business. It almost seemed like he was a grumpy old man complaining about something while looking you right in the eye. Therefor, I named him Oscar after the Sesame Street character.

In the, he wasn't complaining, he was just being vocal and wanting attention.

Truman: Quite the dapper fellow, we wanted a suitable name. I happen to be a fan of the University of Missouri Tigers, so I looked up their mascot name just to see if it would work. Truman it was, so Truman it is.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I named "Ritz" because I found/rescued her at my condo complex, the name of which begins with "French". I thought of 'putting on the Ritz' as being French, and she looked classic, so that's what I called her. Though I call her "precious girl" and "pretty girl" more often than I call her "Ritz".

With the cats I TNR I've quickly run out of names of friends/acquaintances/looks. One time when I dropped off a cat to be spayed/neutered, there was a man in the waiting room with a dog. I named the cat the dog's name. Other times I go by personality or circumstances of birth. I work in the legal industry, so sometimes they really bizzare latin names.

This year I'm going on vacation to Greece. So I name the first cat I trapped "Apollo". All the cats I TNR this year will have a name that has something to do with Greece.
You might want to pick a theme of sorts to name the fosters.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I picked out Spooks name I watched him for 3 days before he was named. I wanted something special, something that had meaning to him and something different. Spook is what my grandfather called me when I was born (and coninued to until he passed away). Spook is also scared of everything (his shadow, the vaccum, a power cored that I bought inside (still no idea why with that one), the guinea pigs, some of the kids toys, the washer, the list can go on).

We also got Spook in October, so I thought that was fitting as well.

Thats how Spook got his name. No suggestions for a name though, hope you find a perfect name.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I had Zenobi's name before I saw her. I became fascinated with the story of Zenobia, warrior queen of Palmyra (historic) I decided that I would get a female cat and name it Zenobi just by knocking off the last vowel. Missy came with her name and I kept it because she seemed to know it well. (She always answers to it -- if she feels like it :jump)

Guy, the gray cat I feed outside, got his name because I'd say to him, "Hey, Guy. Want some food?" So I just started calling him Guy. Other outside cats, both dead, were Hey Cat, as in, "Hey Cat, how are you today? and the first one who ended up being called Cat Cat, because that's that's the way I called to him in the beginning before he started to trust me.

Cats from years ago in England. Screech, (a name that my mother couldn't get. She always called her Shriek) because that's the name we gave to the cheap wine that gave me the headache I had the day she wandered into my life. I believe that name originated in WW2 with the Royal Navy or Merchant navy in Newfoundland. Snowy, was fun loving the little jet black cat we had.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The names I choose are pretty random, whatever I like.

I actually think calling her Tuxie would be cute!
believe it or not, we already had one several months back named "Tuxie Girl", so I can't use that.

I've had some suggestions from friends:
SuzyQ, Buttons, Valentine, Pixie, Tulip, Adelaide, Sneakers

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I look at kitty and repeat names that come to mind looking for a reaction.
With Meme she had a very soft squeaky voice so when I said Mee Mee she turned and looked at me and said Mew Mew. That was close enough for me.
Chiquita mean "Little Girl" in Spanish and my ex was a Spanish teacher.
Samantha was named after a family Tortie that we had when I was a child.
I like names that cam be shortened, Samantha is a great name because it can be formal or fun, I could call her Sammy or just Sam for short.
Often a cat will name themselves if given a chance.
I've run through the entire alphabet and "endings". No particular response to anything.
I LOVE the name Samantha, but we have a foster currently with that name.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I tried not to be too creative when I was fostering. Because of this the ferals I was taking care of at the time got these names:

Momma (the oldest female and matriarch), Tommy (Tom cat...), Ronnie, Donnie (brothers of Tommy...Yay for rhymes), Cinnamon (sister to the males, she was a calico and my BF named her).

Those were the adults. The kittens I fostered:

Litter 1
Pounce (orange tabby, very mischevious), Brother (orange and white, kinda shy), Cleo (eyeliner, calico).

Litter 2
Mum -Leda (means mother in greek, I think...)
Tabby (tabby female), Shadow (Black female), The Twins (grey females, identical)
Tailchaser (named very early by the friend who took him...I secretly called him Alien :)), Sparrow (tiny grey and white female who liked to perch on my knee, Cleo (loud little calico), Big Brother (the biggest male), the other two didn't really even have names...since there were 10 kittens all told only the loud ones got lots of attention.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts