Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here consider paying for the membership?

www.napster.com

I just finished an e-Marketing course, and I have to say.. the stuff KaZaa and other free downloading programs put on your computer (aside from the spyware) made me decide to never use one again. Downloading free music IS stealing, so at least singers and songwriters can now get a cut.

You can download a free 3-day trial; for me, the trial wasn't enough to decide whether or not it was worth it so I purchased one month. I have to say, so far I really like it. Some artists are simply not listed, but I'd say I find 95% of the stuff I'm looking for.

Any feedback, or questions?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I downloaded the Napster software and installed it but did not sign up yet. Maybe I was just blind but I could not find the information on fees/memberships. How does it work? Do you pay by the month or by the song? If by month, are downloads unlimited?

·
Registered
917 Posts
hmm... i have some pretty strong opinions about this whole music sharing business. here are my points:

- the majority of the money saved by paying to download music goes to the label, not the artists.

- the majority of bands i listen to are not found on pay sites.

- the only bands that care about you 'stealing' their music are the ones who don't need the money. smaller bands are just happy people are listening to them.

- if i want to check out a band, i download some mp3s and see if i like them. if i do, i buy a cd. i still buy cds for the cover art and liner notes. if i don't like them, i'd feel ripped off that i paid for those stupid mp3s.

- ever given someone a mix tape? would you have sent in a dollar to every label for every song on the mix tape? no, that's stupid. ever taped a song off the radio? how can labels stop that?

- do they really expect poor-as-dirt college students (like me) to shell out 20 bucks for a cd? label ceo's could drop the price of cds, but that would mean they might have to trade their lamborghini for a bmw.

p.s.- kazaa lite doesn't have spyware.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Just try to find the things I listen too! Most people don't know about Jennifer Cihi - because she is replaced by the name "Sailor Moon". And how popular is that? Most the songs I have on mp3 I have on a cd. I, however, do not burn cds.
My fiance is a high *thief* as I call him. He downloads everything when he can just go buy it for $15. Drives me nuts. But he lost his entire harddrive so HA HA!
I'm all up for paying. BUT I think they should have a sample of EACH song.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richo said:
I downloaded the Napster software and installed it but did not sign up yet. Maybe I was just blind but I could not find the information on fees/memberships. How does it work? Do you pay by the month or by the song? If by month, are downloads unlimited?
You can skip the monthly fee and pay $.99 a song

Or you can pay the fee and download all the songs that aren't listed as "Buy Only". (just right click and hit download) This is how the free trial is set up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use iTunes (both on my Mac & PC) from Apple. Although its not P2P sharing you can purchase songs from Apple's site at either .99 a song or 9.99 an album. And as I understand it Apple basicly cuts 2 seperate checks, one to the label & one to the artist.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yeah we tried to use Napster at work today because we needed a song. It has that same overprotective nonsense about it as other download sites. It was so protected that we couldn't even PLAY the song much less burn it to a CD.

I figure if you pay for a song, it should be yours to freely burn to a CD. It sucks that you have to use special restrictive software to burn the songs you just paid for.

We'd gladly pay $2 per song just to have the simplicity of getting it as a playable, burnable, editable file. Bunch of crap.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Aonir said:
Just try to find the things I listen too! Most people don't know about Jennifer Cihi - because she is replaced by the name "Sailor Moon". And how popular is that? Most the songs I have on mp3 I have on a cd. I, however, do not burn cds.
My fiance is a high *thief* as I call him. He downloads everything when he can just go buy it for $15. Drives me nuts. But he lost his entire harddrive so HA HA!
I'm all up for paying. BUT I think they should have a sample of EACH song.
I LOVE SAILORMOON!!! The show is great along with all its wonderful songs!!! Too bad they canceled it on cable. :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts