Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was looking at my new food I bought today, it's called Natural Balance dry cat food. I looked at the ingredient list and it's not all that different than iams except for it's got some omega-3's in it etc. But how natural is dry food, really. It's not like if my cat was out in the wild he would find these little nuggets sitting there for him. Natural to me is a dead bird in his bowl. Ok, I wouldn't do that but you can't get much more natural than that. I wonder how much of this is a marketing ploy. I suspect a great deal. Many foods now have this natural label and people are paying more for it. My question: is natural better? or is it just way to get more money?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I looked at the ingredient list and it's not all that different than iams except for it's got some omega-3's in it etc.
I'd say they are pretty different. Both brands contain Omega 3's.

Natural Balance dry cat food -
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, Vitamin E) Canola Oil, Oatmeal, Fish Meal, Brewers Yeast, Rosemary Extract, Dried Skimmed Milk, Natural Flavor, Dried Eggs, Carrots, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Kelp, DL Methionine, Dried Cranberries, Lecithin, Parsley Flakes, Tomato Pomace, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin C Supplement, Yucca Schidigera, Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (a source of Vitamin K activity), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylene Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite.

Iams Original dry cat food -
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Dried Egg Product, Natural Chicken Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Inositol, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Sorry opokki, we posted at the exact same time :) .

First of all, Iams has been associated with animal cruelty during it's food testing trials.
http://www.iamscruelty.com/

Secondly, Natural Balance has *much* better ingredients. It has 4/5 of it's first ingredients as a named meat (tells you which animal the meat came from). It contains no corn, and only has brown rice as a carb in the first 5 ingredients. Natural Balance also does not contain by-products.

Iams, on the other hand, only has 2 of it's first 5 ingredients as a meat. One of those first 5 ingredients is a by-product (think beaks, feet and feathers). It is very high in carbs, especially corn.

Here's a great article that explains how to choose a good food.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=004

I've noticed a *huge* difference in my cats' health after switching them to a high quality canned food.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I too have noticed huge benefits from incorporating wet food into my cats' diet. They are on about a 80/20 wet/dry food diet. Their coats are shinier, they shed less, and no more GAS :D Zoë could clear a room quicker than a fire when she left one loose. I have NEVER smelled her pass gas since switching her to mainly wet food.
That said, quality of wet food is important, as opokki and queen of the nile have said. Check out Natural Balance's website for complete break down info for their food. Yes, it could be interpreted as a sales gimmick, but they can't lie about what they do and do use in their food.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/catfood.html

·
Registered
209 Posts
Gotta also put in my .02 on wet food. My two cats are thriving on it, and I switched my 8 yr. old to an all-wet diet about six weeks ago, and he's doing remarkably well. His coat is sleek, shiny and the softest I've ever encoutered. He seems healthier, livlier, although the weight loss I'm seeking is very slow going. Even if he doesn't lose weight initially, I still feel much better putting him on a wet diet. He seems healthier to me.

My other four-month old kitten has started on wet food, and that's where he'll stay for the duration. He's done very well, and his coat is also very nice. Makes the Abyssinian fur stand out even more!

Lisa :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm....seems like you guys have had great luck with natural balance. I'll probably stick with it then. I also bought some wet food for my cat and I will include it in his diet. so yeah, better ingredients but I don't know that the natural label means anything. but hey, it's better than fillers and crap that's used in IAMS!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts