Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Blue Seal today, and saw a fridge by the front register that had Nature's Variety frozen raw food for pets. I was curious as to what people think about the nutritional content. According to the site, they meet all AAFCO standards, but I want to make sure that this would be healthy to feed to Scully and the kittens in addition to their regular food.

Here's the site: http://www.naturesvariety.com/feline/

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I think it looks very good. It has a lot of the needed supplements in it unlike some of the other ALL meat versions of products like this.
How much are they selling it for, if you don't mind my asking.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I don't know how much that store was selling it for, but I just checked petfooddirect.com (simply because it has some of the lowest prices I've seen online) and its insane!

A 1lb bag of freeze dried chicken and turkey is $21.99, beef and lamb are 12oz bags for $23.99! Even the canned food is out of this world. 24 6oz cans cost $40.99. That comes out to $1.71 a can, or $0.28 an ounce!

Compare this to Wellness, which is the most expensive food I've considered buying at $0.98 for 5.5oz at $0.18 an ounce. Its almost twice as expensive!!

Now unless this is the absolute best thing EVER to feed a pet and will magically cure any illness and protect them from harm for their entire lives, I don't see how people spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Wow. That IS insane. I could never afford to feed that.
As it is I buy the big, big cans to save money.

I do wonder how much a 1lb. bag of freeze dried food really makes though.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think it is a good food because Dr. Jean recommended it as an option for my kitty since she is on BioSuperFood. I went with the all canned food option and BioSuperFood twice a day. You would believe how much the BSF helped! Tulsi went to the vet today, and even she was surprised :lol:

Take Care,
Abhay

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I'm sorry that I forget, spittles, but what problems was your kitty having that this diet helped solve? I just want to keep things straight in my head :wink: .

·
Registered
628 Posts
My kitty has skin allergies(horrible open bloody sores she licked). The vet wanted to put her on cortisone spray for the rest of her life, but I didn't want to do that. I read about BioSuperFood on Dr. Jean's website, and I filled out a form. Anyway, Dr. Jean told me to switch Tulsi to an all canned food diet or feed the raw Nature's Variety stuff before she got started on BioSuperFood. Canned food was cheaper, so I went with that :D

I cannot believe the wonders BioSuperFood did 8O

Tulsi also got an eye removed(long story) so she had to stay overnight at the vet office a couple weeks ago. I brought in her BioSuperFood so they could give it to her, and you should have seen the vet assistant's face. She's like..."this stuff is natural???" :lol:

Take Care,
Abhay

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys. I actually didn't look at the price :)oops:); I had gone to Blue Seal to pick up some Oxbow for the bunnies, and Felidae for the kitties, and there was a freezer by the register with some of the frozen food in it. I was considering getting some, but only as an extra to what Scully and the kittens will already be eating. I'm gonna start these babies off right! :D

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well......... :roll:

We already know one will be adopted by one of my mom's coworkers, which is great, because they already have a cat they adopted as a kitten, and they know cats pretty well.

We're really torn, because our gut instinct is to keep them all :) , but we realize what an incredible commitment that is, and with me in college, my brother and sister busy with school and other things, and my parents both working, our schedule is a little hectic. I just don't know how well we would do with a young cat right now. Which is kind of a bummer... :?

So we really don't think we'll be adopting any of the kittens (of course, nothing is set in stone), but we are considering adopting Scully. Mostly because we rescued her and she's really bonded with us, so I'd hate to upend everything...plus I'm completely in love with her :p

We'll see how things go.....at the very least, we have the kittens for another month or so :D

·
Registered
628 Posts
Let me tell you, if you are adopting out the kittens, be strict. I found an organization who would let me decide who I wanted the kittens to go to. Tell them they must feed high-quality canned & dry food each day. Make up your own rules...and if they want the kitten, they will follow them :twisted:

Take Care :D
Abhay

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh definately - the rescue already has some rules in place (i.e. no toddlers, have another cat or adopt two kittens, spay/neuter...the usual), but I've also printed off some info for potential adopters regarding introducing two cats, proper diet, indoor vs. outdoor, scratching, etc. I'm not going to let my babies go to just anybody!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Perhaps, as your adopt out the kittens you could even recommend the cat forum to them! You could type out a sheet or something with the foods that YOU recommend and things they have already been eating and takin' a liking too and any other recommendations that you ahve and then even list the forum if they had any other questions and needed a good resource.

????

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Absolutely, I will definately recommend the forum to them! I mean, I joined just under a month ago, and now look at me :D You guys have been so incredibly helpful! Who knows, maybe someday you'll see my kitties new moms and dads online :p

And I will also make sure they know each kittens personality, what food they are used to, what toys they like, etc. Try to make it as smooth a transition as possible.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Oooooh, i didn't even think of that, seeing them online!
That would be sooo cool. Then maybe I'd still be able to see Steph! :wink:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ask for vet reference

One of the main things I ask potential adopters is for a veterinarian reference for present or past pets. If someone takes their pets to the vet on a regular basis, that pretty much tells you they are responsible. I've gotten so rigid with adoptions that I don't even adopt out to first time pet owners. I have potential adopters fill out an adoption application and adoption agreement. The agreement states that they will do XYZ as I outline and if they don't I have the legal right to come take the animal. People who have good intentions don't mind the paper work. I've only had one person who told me she "resented" the application. That told me she was not being honest with her answers to my questions about her being a responsible pet owner. Needless to say, the kitten she wanted stayed with me.

Good luck. Anything else I can help you with in the adoption process, let me know.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, the rescue requires a vet check and a landlord's agreement, plus an adoption contract and all that. Naturally, I will be veeerrrryyy picky as to who gets to take my babies home.

·
Registered
98 Posts
spittles said:
My kitty has skin allergies(horrible open bloody sores she licked). The vet wanted to put her on cortisone spray for the rest of her life, but I didn't want to do that.
I cannot believe the wonders BioSuperFood did 8O
Thanks for telling me about this Spittles! My Chewy has the EXACT same thing, and all my vet did was send me home with flea drops and some antibiotics. And, duh! It really didn't make a drastic change at all. I must try this. Thanks for suggesting it. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts