Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you clever souls seem to come up with some nifty gadgets for your cats. Has anyone found a way to keep one cat out of the other's food?

Snickers has started eating Pumpkin and Pepper's food. This is not a good thing as Snickers is on a special renal diet. Of course, he can't resist the meaty smell of the Natural Balance sitting nearby. :roll:

I can't switch the kittens to Snickers' food, so...

I thought about putting something like a box over the kittens' food dishes -- Snickers is quite chicken about entering small covered spaces. This may not work forever, though, once the kittens get bigger.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
I can't claim to have invented this "gadget", but it works well for me. It's called a "door", I think. 8)

But.....if you're free feeding, sorry, can't help you there. :(

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, Tim...seems I heard about doors somewhere...now let me think...

Make fun of me, will ya?! :lol: (just kidding, Tim -- I can take it :wink: )

The kittens are free feeders, more or less. They like to nibble throughout the day as opposed to eating scheduled meals.

Snickers gets 3 meals each day. He does not like being free fed and will turn his nose up at his food if it sits out too long. :roll:

However, he is not finishing his food first and then helping himself to the goods. He eats a bit of his and then ditches it in favor of the girls' food.

If it wasn't a health issue, I wouldn't care so much. Plus ol' Snickers was quite a chunker before his diet, and we don't want to go back to having a plus-size kitty again. :?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
My suggestion would be to change the kittens to timed meals and feed them in a seperate room with someone behind a closed door. (Be it the kittens or Snickers... whatever you think will work best.)

It'll be easier to switch the kittens to specific feeding times now while they're still young.

·
Banned
12,190 Posts
Agree with Padunk. That's really the best solution when different diets are necessary. There's no practical way to keep cats from eating each other's food when you're free feeding.

(PS - feel free to make fun of me anytime :wink: )

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(PS - feel free to make fun of me anytime )
Uh oh, you've given me license to tease you...you sure about that, Tim? :lol:

Thanks, Tim and Rob. I was hoping I didn't have to go the closed door route. :?

My first floor is mostly open. The only closed rooms are the laundry (too tiny), my husband's office (they already jump on his desk -- don't think so), or the bathroom (rather not go there). Upstairs is all carpet.

Tim, don't you use a closet for your litter boxes? Hmm, maybe I can utilize my coat closet for this. The floor in there is slate so it would be easy to clean up the spills.

Or perhaps the basement...alright, I'm going to have to get creative here. :idea:

Thanks again for the help! :mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts