Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned on another thread my 21y/o neice was in a very bad accident the end of September. Although E miraculously came out of her coma and is not a quadrapelegic as diagnosed, she will be in the hospital then therapy for a long time. I have googled books of inspiration but haven't found anything directed to a young woman. Anyone with input?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It's not a book, but a short(er), inspirational read can be found at Courtney King Dressage

Courtney King Dye, 2008 Olympian and winner of countless medals in dressage competition, suffered a freak accident in March 2010 while schooling a horse. He tripped, she fell, and that was it. She spent weeks in a coma, the result of a traumatic brain injury. She's now walking with assistance, riding in therapy sessions each week, and it's so touching to read her blog updates. How much she loves riding, starting all over again. It's equal parts heartbreaking and inspiring.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I only know of one other (apart from Lance Armstrong). The world famous racing driver Alex Zanardi. He was one of the most popular and fastest drivers around when he lost both his legs above the knee in a horrific crash in Germany. He fought back and even won races again. He went on to drive a specially modified Touring Car, and even an F1 car. Amazing chap. A real inspiration.

Zanardi, Alex (2004). Alex Zanardi: My Story. City: Haynes Publishing. ISBN:184425108X.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking into every one of your books. Thank you all. Went to see E last night after work. See looks so little in that bed. Of course she has the traec making it difficult to communicate. She mouthed that she is scared and in pain, pain, pain or it hurts so much. E will probably get a cap on the traec by the end of the week making it a little easier to speak.
Please pray for my little dumpling.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Sounds awful. Whilst I've had more than my fair share of hospitals, I've not been in that kind of situation before.

I HAVE been in pain and not been able to move for a couple of days, and that was **** for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts