Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adore this cat so much. I dont know what it is about her but she has to ability to cheer me up when i'm upset. All she has to do is come and sit by me. Her and her 2 brothers were born in my lap! She is about a year old and she has been going to the bathroom behind our couch. This isnt a good thing. I guess i'll have to try and find a good home for her or let her be an outside cat. We live in the country and we have some other outside cats. Her brothers ended up being outside cats and they are fine. I just was wondering if there was something I could try first? We are shampooing the carpets soon so I'm hoping that will take away the smells and discorourage her. Any advice? thanks!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
There are a ton of things you should try before you give up on her.

Has she always done this? Or is it recently? When a cat starts to do something like this, it could be a medical problem and she should see a vet.

Is the litterbox clean? Have you recently changed brands of cat litter? Is she de-clawed? (If so, was it recently?) That can also cause changes in litterbox behavior because it is very painful for gets to lose their claws. Are there other cats in the house? Maybe she needs her own litterbox.

Please don't let her outside. Regardless of where you live, outdoor cats have a much shorter lifespan than indoor cats. If your kitty means as much to you as you say it does, than take the necessary measures to correct the problem before you give her away or turn her outside. :(

Allow me to quote Dr Jean:
Yep, indoor cats live 15-18 years, outdoor 3-5. Disease, injury, predators (there are hawks, foxes and coyotes even in the city), cars, dogs, other cats, and rotten little kids with baseball bats, not to mention the low-lives who steal cats and use them as bait to be ripped apart to train fighting dogs, or sold to labs for dissection or experimentation (they love the friendly ones)those are the hazards facing outdoor kitties.
(and the link to that post.)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Is she spayed? Unspayed cats frequently spray and aren't picky about their litterbox habits.

Definitely, if this is something new, the chances of a urinary tract problem are pretty high at this age, so a vet check is necessary. In my experience a dirty box is the number one reason cats go outside the box, and urinary tract infections are numbe two. For other possibilities, please see several articles on litterbox secrets at http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library.

Let us know how she does!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
656 Posts
My female cat would pee in the house as well before she got spayed.

If she is spayed there must be some reason why she is doing this, Cats are very clean animals.

I would suggest cleaning behind your couch very well with some kind of pet odor remover...I am sure someone can suggest a good one.... Make sure there is no smell left over, because if she can smell her urine scent she might keep going there.
Next make sure the litter tray is kept very clean. Do you have a covered pan? If so I would suggest getting a regular pan to put next to it, sometimes cats do not like the covered pan.
Make sure the tray is in a easily accessed area.
If thease things dont work you should call your vet, she may have something medical wrong causing her to do this.

I hope you can solve your problem, I know how frustrateing this can be. :? Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Nature's Miracle is great at getting out pet stains and smells. Use it at full strength, saturate the area, and let it dry on it's own. Keep kitty away from the spot until it's completely dry. It could take up to two weeks to completely dry, so you might consider opening your windows if the weather is dry and pointing a fan at the spot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could try this too

I was having the same problem, too. My cat was having diarreha because she was stressed, anyway, he said to change the litter (like the others told you to do), but he also told me to change the location of the litterbox, because she was associating the pain from the diarreha with the litterbox. So by changing the litter and the location of the box, it's completly new information for her, she'll think that it is a new box. Maybe that will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts