Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got two 3 year old cats that we rescued two years ago. They’re bonded and a handful, but they’re great kitties. In the last few months I started feeding a stray cat outside our house. It took me a while to gain stray kitty’s trust, but he now lets me pet him and hangs out with me for pets after I give him his dinner every night. I only see him at night, and he has gotten comfortable hanging out in front of our door.

My cats have become anxious about stray kitty and have been acting up at night. One of them acts completely different, his personality has changed. Stray kitty has been seen a couple times in our backyard. I put in a couple of sonic motion detectors, which seems to keep him out of our yard. Still, my cats know he’s around and get restless. I also used to take my cats out for walks at night, which had to stop because of him. He follows us around and my cat just wants to get back home to guard the house.

I know I should stop feeding stray kitty, as it’s not fair to my cats to make them uncomfortable in their own home. I’m not sure what to do or how to go about it so that stray kitty stays safe and fed. He was very skinny before I started feeding him, and we live in Arizona where there are coyotes, foxes, and bobcats around. I would love it if all three cats got along, but I don’t see that happening. They’ve met face to face a few times, and there was no attacking, but there was a lot of yowling, hissing, and marking territory. I’m open to any advice on how to handle this!

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
If you want to keep "stray kitty" around, suggest you find a sheltered spot about 100 yds. away from your house, that has some sort of shelter, such as a tree, and fasten a box (say 3-sided that has a top) in the tree as shelter. At the beginning lure kitty with food to the tree. Get stray kitty accustomed to seeing you approximately same time each day, say am & pm, and leave food at bottom of tree and some in the box. It may take a little while to get kitty to go to tree, but if you're early a few times, and leave food at the tree, he should get used to finding the food there. Cats like routine and kitty should anticipate when you will be at the tree to feed him, rather than him coming to the house and disturbing your cats. Alternately, trap him with some food in it, and take him to a humane society if you're fearful that he may be hunted by coyote, fox, or bobcat. Good luck and All the best!

Reactions: Kiki's Mom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about finding a place for him away from the house, it's just such a small community with very few trees or common areas. I didn't think of putting a box up in a tree for him, I'll have to scout the area and see if I can find a good spot. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts