Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cat Forum People,

I have acquired two adult cats from my sister. Both cats are better than twelve years old, healthy, and quite active for their age. One of the cats is very effective as a pet at senior homes. This cat is so good at it that it has become a four-legged celebrity.

A dilemma has risen. My wife would like to bring the cat to her hometown senior home approximately 45-50 miles away. The travel is easy as it is a rural trip. What preparations must I perform in order to allow suitable comfort for the cat? What preparations must I complete as far as litter boxes are concerned?

Thank you for your advice. This would be a great delight for some senior citizens if it can be accomplished.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hello!

I'm happy to hear that your wife wants to take the cat back home! I think the cat will be fine for an hour car ride. I just have a couple of practical points to start:

The most important thing is for you to ensure the cat will be in a carrier. It is safest this way for both you and the cat. Do you have any information regarding how the cat feels about cars? Also, you should not have to worry about the litterbox on such a short trip.

Two of my cats don't particularly like the car, but they do alright (with a fair bit of meowing) and one of them just loves it. I'm sure someone can give you more tips about what to do for a cat that Really doesn't like the car.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
This is a great website on traveling with cats:
www.ramblincat.com

However, do realize that cats *hate* change and if this is to be a short visit, the cat may not be "himself" when he gets there. I generally recommend leaving them at home in their own environment if possible. Getting a cat sitter is a good option.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts