Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting kicked out a roommate/landlord situation no contract. I have a 17 yr cat. Have only had her about a year. Have not bonded the best as 14 of hers years in one house then humane society. In and out for 2 yesrs till me. Wanted to give her forever but now. Will have to go at least 4 hours away after eviction as area too expensive otherwise and closest support. Last time in car, 15 minutes she had panic attack with hyperventilating and I was worried about her passing. Only options I can see are take with to unknown and hope she does not die in the car. Return to humane society or rehome her. I hate them all. But want whats best for her, I will be shattered enough having to leave house dog. she also on expensive special diet. Advice?

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Whenever I took my girl to the vet in her cat carrier she was very vocal and stressed all the way to the vets office. I recently started to cover the whole carrier with a blanket so she can’t see the outside and it’s dark inside the carrier. It keeps her quite and has really helped. Take a test drive with a blanket or large towel over her carrier and see if that will calm her down. When I rescued 5 kittens and the mom last summer I did the same thing and they didn’t throw a fuss over the 2 hr drive to the rescue center.
I think you can find away to take her with you. Don’t give up. There is always a way.

Reactions: marie73

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
When I moved 7 hours away, I asked my vet for medication for my girls. The twins cry the whole time they're in the car. The meds didn't knock them out, but it made them groggy enough not to care. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The meds weren't expensive.

The towel suggestion posted by lcordaro also sounds worth a try.

You adopted a 16-year old cat? Wow, that's pretty amazing. I think she needs to spend the rest of her life with you, that's the option I would pick.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yes, try covering the crate with a great big towel or blanket. I've also found that helps.

Sorry about your lifestyle shift. These months have been full of unpleasant surprises.

Congrats to you on taking in a truly senior cat. They are the best. Let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I moved 7 hours away, I asked my vet for medication for my girls. The twins cry the whole time they're in the car. The meds didn't knock them out, but it made them groggy enough not to care. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The meds weren't expensive.

The towel suggestion posted by lcordaro also sounds worth a try.

You adopted a 16-year old cat? Wow, that's pretty amazing. I think she needs to spend the rest of her life with you, that's the option I would pick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for replying. I so want to keep her. Will ask vet today about drugs as we go in to see if we have finally beaten are e.coli uti anyways. And hope that combined with blank with let her travel. Thank you

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
We all wish you the best. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so since you all were so kind and it was requested. current and most likely plan at this stage. my grandparents are need help. grandpa can go at any moment (also almost 90) and grandma in wheelchair. they live on their own. so i will move in until i can get them into a nursing/retirement/assisted/senior home (family fight on what to call things) will find job. and then most likely relocate away from the cold of northern plains. Jazzy is coming with me, grandma has approved, drugs gotten ( 10 8 hr pills $15) and a better carrier coming soon.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
I hope everything works out, best of luck to all of you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts