Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We have one cat named Maria. She was adopted as a stray, so we think she's around 19 or 20 years old. Unfortunately, as of late, she has had many ongoing problems. Her eyes are so dilated that they're almost 100% pupil now. She seems to be blind and deaf as she is always walking into things and doesn't respond to some sounds. All she does is walk around and sometimes will start meowing, louder and louder until one of us goes and pets her or something. We plan to ask for help on this in another thread. If you think you can help, that would be great. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,397 Posts
What does your vet say? I don't think with those symptoms anyone here can help. She needs to see a professional, especially to confirm blindness and/or deafness and possible dementia.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i'm so sorry it has progressed that far for your Maria. I have a deaf cat myself, but she still has her sight. Has Maria been deaf for a while? if so, hopefully you have learned the basics of just making sure she doesn't feel like she's ever being snuck upon. and hopefully she has at least adjusted to that particular loss of hearing. sounds like going completely or almost completely blind is pretty new, though. the only thing i can think of is that you should make sure you don't move any furniture around. there are lots of stories of blind kitties out there, but they have learned the layout of their homes so they still get around just fine. if she can't seem to remember the layout and is bumping into things, maybe it IS dementia like Marie suggested. she would still have her sense of smell hopefully and that should help her navigate some to her food and her litterbox. with my girl being deaf, i try to also tap on the furniture she's on before i get too close to her so she knows i'm coming. i'm sorry i don't have any real professional advice for you. fingers crossed that the vet can provide some or someone else on this forum can.
XOXO to you and Maria

1 - 3 of 3 Posts