Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat Cleo experienced what the vet believed were several small strokes in July and August. Amidst the all the testing that was done, her toxoplasmosis came back positive (but not active). She was placed on a 6-week course of clindamycin, which she finished last week. Her motor skills seemed to be improving very slowly until a couple days ago. Now it looks like she's almost back to square one with the wobbliness and falling over. The most she climbs up or down is about 16"-18" to a futon bed. She seems to get up ok by scrambling, but getting down she sometimes almost falls forward and crashes a little bit. I have rugs everywhere now in the hopes she won't hurt herself.

Is it possible she could've had another stroke? Or could she have hurt herself? Her eyes are responsive and the pupils work. She is eating and using the litter box by herself but I'm worried she is going to keep on stroking out until her brain gives out. Is there something a vet can do?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Sometimes neurologic cases are very difficult. Sometimes they slowly improve over time, sometimes they do not. I can't answer your question for sure; I would advise calling a couple different local vets and seeing if they have any ideas for you. Toxoplasmosis can sometimes cause permanent central nervous system damage, it may just be an issue she has to learn to live with. Get her tested again for sure, to make sure that her antibiotics got rid of the parasite. It is good you are making your home safer for her, right now you should try to keep her quiet, and make sure she can't hurt herself (by falling off a bed/table etc...).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@RachandNito, thanks for your response. The vet I referred to in my original post was actually a neurologist, who was the final destination after the emergency vet and Cleo's regular vet. I guess my actual question is, is it possible for a cat to improve after having a stroke and then have a relapse of symptoms? I'm worried something might have happened while I was at work. She is supposed to get retested for the toxo this week. Can you explain the pathology of how toxoplasmosis causes permanent CNS damage? I was really hoping Cleo would be able to recover from her strokes, even if not 100%.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The parasite usually stays within the intestines but sometimes it can migrate out and form cysts in other tissues, including the brain, leading to CNS damage. I don't have a lot of experience with the disease, this is just coming from what I learned in school. But cats are also extremely resilient and amazing creatures, and that being said I have seen plenty of neurologic cases that improve dramatically with time. The thing about that is that it can take a while. Hang in there, it sounds like you are on the right track and working closely with the right people who can help Cleo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts