Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here, I'm looking for advice on my problem:

I just moved into a new apartment this week and when I signed the lease I didn't realize that the place has a roach problem.

I moved in and I'm really worried about my cats getting sick from the roaches, which are all over the kitchen.

I've placed Combat traps in places where my two cats cannot get to, but I'm still worried about leaving out cat food when I'm at work, because the roaches will try to eat it.

I'm really frustrated and I won't be able to move again for at least another year.

I want my cats to be safe and healthy but also want to get rid of the roach problem.

Are Exterminator's unsafe for cats?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just FYI, but if you live in the US and the building supers knew there was a serious roach problem and failed to inform you, you can probably get out of you lease. Lemon laws cover rentals as well as purchases.

I would try feeding your cats far away from the current roaches and not leaving the food out. If you put the cats and food in your bedroom and then have the kitchen sprayed and keep the cats out for 24 hours you should be okay. Also, make sure to keep all food sealed and covered, and run hot water down all drains everyday. My building sprays kitchens and bathrooms once a month and my cats are just fine, though I'm sure they hide when the exterminator comes.

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
Check your local ordinances, but I believe Rayona is right. You are being constructively evicted. In other words, with your situation, you are in unlivable conditions, and can break the lease with no consequences. Be sure to ask an attorney before moving, however. Stare looking for a new place now, so that you can move as soon as you get an answer. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't use exterminators, don't use pesticides and don't use pest poisons, because your kitty might get infected too while chasing the cockroaches or licking the floor. I get pests in my home at times too, and try to get rid of them the 'natural way' so the cats are safe (and I bet its good for us humans too).

Note the source at which the cockroaches regularly emerge, and pour boiling water down that hole, or seal it up with wax. Place sticky tape with the sticky side facing up around areas you'd like them not to enter. Even if it doesn't stop them, it will deter most of them from entering. I've tried that with ants, reduces the problem like about 80%, and is totally pesticide free!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
we have a "pest control" come every month, in an apartment complex which allows any pets. Almost every apartment has pets. We have been assured that there is nothing that can harm the pets. The guys don't spray the food or the litter of course, and we have never have a problem.

When you live someone where that has a extreme pet problem you can not help to use posions, but make sure that they are not going to harm your pet. you should be fine.

And, i also think that you should by law be able to get out of your lease.. who wants to live with a ton of bugs! your landlord should get that taken care of. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts