Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a mother cat and her kitten stayed in our courtyard outside the family room for a couple of months. As the kitten grew, Mama left and he stuck around. He would sit for hours looking inside the glass door to our family room, so one night I opened the door and he came in. I would estimate he is 3 months old. We named him "Starvin' Marvin" because he would chow down on the food, but now he is just Marvin.

Marvin seems quite comfortable around the house. He immediately started using the litter box, and he plays hard with our other male cat. They lay fairly close to each other. He lays stretched out on the floor in our family room while we watch TV. He also jumps up on the kitchen counter when we're cooking. He hasn't shown any signs of missing the outdoors.

Our only issue is that he will only get within a certain distance of us and when he thinks we are going to touch him he runs. He has actually gone so far as to lick our fingers when we're not looking at him, but he still won't let us touch him. He sees how affectionate we are with the other cat. Will he ever come around?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe? I would leave him alone, allow the scared and timid cat come on HIS terms not the humans. I would say let him find a good comfortable hiding spot for the cat just for now. Give him time, use positive reinforcement, or/and use the method jackson galaxy does with scared and unwary cats. He lays on the floor gives the cat a soft, slow blink. The cat may have lost trust with humans down the line, and he had bad experience with humans

So therefore I would give him ALL the time he needs be very patience with him. For now focus on your other cats and he will gradually come around

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
What I would do is slowly desensitize him to your touch. Sit quietly in a room with him with something really yummy ready. Make sure he is good and hungry, too. Let him come to you and take it from your outstretched hand. Move your hand closer to your body slowly and a little more each time he comes around. Little by little let him nibble it out of your hand and see if you can softly touch his cheek with the other. The goal is to let him nibble while you stroke his cheek. Just a few minutes a day to start. Once that has been achieved you can move on to trying to put a hand on his shoulders, or neck or back. Take it slow - weeks not days. Just a little bit each day and I think depending on his overall temperament, he should come around pretty quickly. Small bits of chicken work well. After this you can move on to trying to slowly pick him up. Again, small baby steps with this, too. Start another thread when you get to this stage. We'll make a lap cat out of this fellow soon enough!!

Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
use the method jackson galaxy does with scared and unwary cats. He lays on the floor gives the cat a soft, slow blink.
This is known as "Kitty Kisses" on the Aussie site I frequent, It has worked for me with dumped/ferrules. Slowly close your eyes while looking at the cat. Open your eyes and turn your head as if you are ignoring them. Then repeat.

As far as getting Marvin to accept human contact this is what I would try.

Establish a separate feeding room for Marvin. Place a chair in the room that you can sit on when feeding him. Each day move the feeding bowl closer to you. Reduce the amount of fed and start dangling your hand over the arm of the chair. He should start running back and forth over your hand. By all means resist the temptation to pick him up. After he starts the rubbing give him the rest of the ration. Again resist picking him up.

When he is comfortable with rubbing your hand, start gently with small strokes, petting him. Again, resist the temptation to pick him up. Eventually stroke him with longer pats. You will know when it is time to pick him up.

Don't know what more experience cat people will think of my methods, but it worked with in 2 weeks when my first cat came to me and on several dumped cats that I have befriended.

"Curiosity Killed The Cat". I believe this true. It has been a factor in all the cats that have owned me. Patients is the key. It is on the cat's terms.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I can only add one more thing to what has been said. Other than it is all good advice and will probably work.

For some reason ever since I was very young, I was always able to get dogs and cats to trust me almost immediately. Some owners even said things like 'my ______ doesn't go to new people etc.' But there it is licking or sniffing my hand. I think animals look into your eyes and listen to your voice. And that is the one thing I would add....speaking softly and letting Marvin take his own sweet time to come around.

Good luck and he is lucky he was smart enough to stay around...what patience he showed.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
...We named him "Starvin' Marvin" because he would chow down on the food, but now he is just Marvin...
I have nothing to add in the way of advising, it's all good.. slowly, slowly is key.

I just wanted to say, OMG! lol I have called my girlies "Starvin Marvins" since they first came to live with me! I still do! :wiggle

... just thought I'd share that bit of trivial information LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.