Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll make this as short as possible. Two males, 4 & 1-1/2. They seem to get along okay but they fight and play SO hard that Bart has fallen from the tower and I'm afraid he'll get hurt. I had to rearrange so he wouldn't. Sometimes they have bite marks from each other. I play with them a couple of times a day to wear them out. They get into everything and eat shoestrings and many kinds of toys, so I am limited as to what I can buy. I can't tell if they are playing or fighting! I've been watching "My Cat From ****" and I've been trying to apply some suggestions. One meows loudly at the door off and on all day. The kitchen cupboards are tied shut, but Beacon bangs them or works at it until he gets in anyway. One person told me Feliway would probably work and another told me with this very active behavior they didn't think it would work. I'm at wit's end today and frankly wish I had never gotten the second cat. I feel bad but that's the way it is! They even do the major wrestling/playing/fighting/whatever it is in the hall so I don't see them so they know it upsets me. I don't work yet my entire day is cat-related. I love them but this is ridiculous. Does anyone have any more suggestions or has anyone used Feliway for something like this? I have spent a fortune trying different foods and on vet bills the past two months and I am taking the best care of them I possibly can. I can't spend another $40 on Feliway unless I have a good chance with it. Also, I have been extremely ill for over two weeks, so my stress is sky high, but I've still been playing with them every day. I am very distressed and don't know what to do. Also, my entire house is dirty every single day because they are so rambunctious. I just can't keep up. Right now, the stress isn't worth it. I have never "gotten rid of" a pet and I'm afraid it may come to that. Thanks for listening. Please help!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Leaving bite marks is not playing. Not sure who is Who? Who is the older cat, who fell from the tower?

When they play to rough you need to correct that immeditely....loud claps is good or put some coins in a can and shake it loudly when they get too rough. Give them a time out...seperate them

Do you have one of those wand toys...the ones with a dangling feather???? Mine LOVE it and get tired quickly. Take a deep breath

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
We kind of went through a similar period with Stephano, who is now 1 1/2 -2, and he is finally starting to calm down a bit. He gets into cabinets too, and drawers, and pulls food off the counter if he can, and until a few months ago, he still climbed the curtains. Now his butt is finally too big to pull up the curtains, thank God. I try to wear his behind out with a laser pointer dot. I do that two times a day, and he gets really tired, it does work at wearing him out. And the wand toys, and I have a large cat tree that he has fallen from in his fury to get to the top, he is quite a spaz. And when he was younger, I put him up in his room, you can pick a room, a bedroom is great if you can do that, where he had time away from my other cat. This gave the other one a break. If yours are fighting too much, they probably need this time away from each other, and separating them for a while during the day, or at bedtime if they are too crazy, is a good idea, for the older cat.

Don't be too discouraged. 1 1/2 is still really young and they usually calm down around 3 and turn into couch potatoes. Stephano the super spaz is already becoming one, and I thought that would never happen. I hear what you are saying about the feliway too, I know how expensive it is. I have used it and I'm not sure if it helps or not, but I have it, and I honestly wonder sometimes if it did help or not, because I did not notice a remarkable difference, but some people swear by it, so I think it could not hurt. I really think that young crazy boy having his own space to have some down time where he is not constantly harassing his brother is probably the best thing though, it was for us in your situation. We don't have to do that any more, he has finally calmed down enough that we don't have to separate them anymore, but they do go into a bedroom at night to sleep, because I value my sleep too much to have them tearing up and down the halls all night long. Another thing that helps TREMENDOUSLY, I'm not sure what you feed your cats, but my cats eat wet food only (trust me, especially with males, you may want to look into this to avoid urinary issues down the road), but my boys get their biggest wet food meal, with some warm water mixed in their food, right before bedtime. A full belly, off to their bedroom, they sleep, I sleep, the world is a better place the next day. He does start mewing sometimes about 15-30 minutes before the alarm clock goes off at 5:30 am, but it's not as bad as dealing with them all night long.

THe laser dot, wand toys, an empty cardboard box, crinkly toys and balls with bells in them, and a little play session a couple times a day, one time before bed, and then a full belly a food, and off to their room......all of this keeps me from pulling out my hair.

It will get easier.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'd also recommend a simple water-filled plant sprayer set to "stream" instead of "mist" to stop fights.

But just before you squirt, say "NO!" firmly and then spray. Pretty soon they'll learn that if they don't quit fighting upon command, the water follows.

I agree that scratches and bite marks are not playing. Cats who play, even very actively, keep their claws retracted and "fake-bite" each other. Happens all the time. But the actual biting? There's some hostility there and you probably need to use the squirter to keep order. Cats who are actually fighting can in fact harm one another, such as cause serious eye damage.

Much as you don't want to consider this, there is also the possibility that you may have to adopt out that 2nd cat. Look at it this way--- if you find a good home for the 2nd cat, everyone wins. Some cats simply do not get along with companion cats and prefer to be solitary and to rule their humans alone. ha ha

Due to the personal traits of your #1 cat and the smaller confines of your apartment, there simply may not be room for two felines under one roof, maybe never. It may simply be the more humane decision in the long term, to find a new home for cat #2.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Lots of good advice here... basically, lots of activity and interaction. How long have the cats been together? My two cats are mother and son, and their 'play-fighting' gets pretty intense, sometimes. I distract them or physically intercede when required. Newton is like a 14-month old kitten, but he is slowly beginning to calm down.

I would give it a little bit more time, and see if the situation improves.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Does your gut tell you it's playing or fighting? I can tell the difference pretty readily. If it is playing I would ignore it - even with the biting. I think they will self govern as the youngster get older. I agree with tezster, I would give it more time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts