Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would like your advice on something that recently happened at an animal hospital.

I had been feeding a stray cat on and off for a few months. Last week I noticed that he was limping badly, so took him to an animal hospital. They told me about an adoption program, where they would find him a home if I paid to have him neutered, shots, etc. I paid over $250 for everything. They promised that no move would be made without contacting me first, and I never signed anything that gave them control of the cat. I was told that I could talk to the people who wanted to adopt him, and everyone had to fill out an adoption form.

He was treated for the hurt leg (he had a hole all the way through the leg), and neutered, given a bath, and treated for fleas and ear mites. I was called later that day and told that everything was fine. The next day I called them and was told the same thing, and that it would be alright to come and see him at any time. I had called at 2:00 and told them I would be by after work at 5:00.

When I got there at 5:00 they acted very strange when I asked to see him.
Another woman was called out, and she told me the cat was gone. That he had been adopted. I wanted to know why they had not been contacted me.
She told me that he was a very sick cat, with FIV/FELV, and was lucky to find any home. I was shocked to hear he had this. This was the first I had heard of this, they had always told me he was fine. They did not know the name of the person who had taken him. The person had not been required to fill out an adoption form. I was in tears, not knowing what condition he was in, or who took him.

I demanded to know the name and the phone number of the person who had him. They promised to find out and get back with me the next day. Of course, they never contacted me, so I called them. I talked to a woman who told me she released the cat to a member of the Shamrock Foundation, and finally gave me a name and phone number, once again stressing that he was a very sick cat.

I contacted the guy who had him. He has a number of cats with that same condition in an apartment over where he works. He kindly allowed me to come by and see the cat. I was happy to see the cat walking around, playing, and seeming to be well again. The guy told me that some of these cats could live along time; he had one that was 16.

My complaint is the way the animal hospital handled this situation. I understand that they wanted to get a cat with that condition out of the place as soon as possible, but why didn't they get in touch with me before they let the cat go. I had left 4 phone numbers, and I had called 2 and half hours before he was picked up. Why didn't they tell me that the cat had FELV /FIV when they found out the test results? Is there any place where I can file a complaint? Or do you think I an over-reacting to what happened?

Kim

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
First off, you did not sign anything, no real permission granted. That cat IS still your property. If you want the cat back, demand it or press charges. It is illegal to sell someone elses pet(they call it property) without first contacting them. and keeping medical reports away from the owner is completely wrong. Just because the cat has FIV or FeLV doesn't mean they have the right to give it away. If this guy collects sick cats, and doesn't rehome them himself, he's trouble.

Also, which does he have? FIV, or FeLV?

My advice is, take the cat back, go to a DIFFERENT vet and have blood tests done. And, if positive, contact a cat rescue that will take in cats with special needs.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Kim, there's no excuse for not calling you and keeping you informed. You invested your time, your money and your heart. I'm so sorry you were treated that way. :( Thank you for being so kind.

I' moved my post to Health and Nutrition. It's not necessary to duplicate the thread. :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
How horrible! I am sorry that happened but I hope that this guy will take good care of the cats and find good homes for them. I don't know what I would do but I would be very very mad and I would be writing letters and making phone calls to everyone to find out why they would do that and make complaints. But since you at least know your cat is well, makes it a little better. I hope it all goes well. Good Luck. :wink:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Some things I would do.

Definetly keep in touch with the man who now has this cat.
Get all the cats records including the blood tests run for Feline Lukemia so you can have that, to see for sure if he was tested and what the result was. Plus you paid all that money, the cat is in your name, you still technically own this cat and have the right to full access of his records.

Yes, as soon as the found out he was FeLuke/FIP + they should have called you right then. Speak with the hospital director and express your concern. If you are not satisfied enough, then file a complaint with your states (VMB) Veterinary Medical Board.

I wouldn't think of it from the stance of, "am I over reacting" I would think of it from "What if this happens to someone else, or has already happened before, and I let it slide?"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone who replied to my message,

We saw the stray cat (now named Louis) today, and he is adapting to his new home really well. His leg is almost completely healed.
We are going to have a talk with the vet from the animal hospital about what happened. Afterwards we may file a complaint with the Veterinary Medical Board.

Thanks again,
Kim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts