Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took in a family friends cat,she is an elderly lady and had to go to a nursing home type place.She has had this cat for 14 years,since she was weaned as a kitten. I took the cat in a few months back.She is long haired and had a matted ball of hair on her side,I have tried to groom her and she will not let me!Im assuming she had never been groomed before. She is shedding like crazy and I don't know how in the world to brush her and get it out?! Anyone know what I could do?She is freaked out by loud noises and crates,she is so attached to me. I would hate to take her to a groomer and her panic and lose her trust also.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
If you are able to slip a comb between the mat and the skin you might be able to cut if out in pieces. My friend has a cat like this, and once a year they take it to the vet to be sedated and shaved. That my be your answer. Worth the $$$.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I'd get recommendations for a good groomer. Groomers are professionals, but like any other job, some are better than others. A good groomer will know how to treat the cat and work on her fur without causing her much distress.

Losing a cat's trust is usually very short lived. If you've had her a few months, this one indiscretion (in her mind) won't replace all the love. She may be grumpy for a minute or two, but she'll reconnect with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts