Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’m new to this forum.
I’m a first time cat owner. I got Nietzsche when he was a few weeks old; he’s 18 months now and the light of my life.
I’m looking for some advice.
Nietzsche is 16 lbs and the vet told me he was a bit over weight, so told me to feed him Hills Prescription Diet M/D for weight management. Nietzsche LOVES the food. Problem is, I noticed the first ingredient is chicken by product. Everywhere I read, it says that by products are not good for cats.
I just started adding a new dry food (Natural Balance Fat Cats) and now he won’t eat. (It’s been 2 days).
I have been researching ‘healthiest dry cat foods’ like crazy and I’m more confused now than ever.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I don’t want anything that’s grain or gluten free, but I do want something that’s low in carbs and high in protein. And....he doesn’t like wet food.
Any help is appreciated!

Sab

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Sab . . . do a google search to see what comprises chicken by-products. You'll see that it's just the less savory (to humans) but still edible parts of the chicken. If a cat were living in the wild and caught a chicken, it would probably eat those parts, as well as the "better" parts that people generally eat. I'm not saying that Hill's prescription cat foods are the best choice, just that they aren't necessarily a bad choice simply because they contain meat by-products.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for replying!
Totally get what you’re saying. It’s just that every Google search I’ve done says that by products is an ingredient that shouldn’t be in pet food.
Do you know of a cat food that is high in protein and low in carbs?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't know which are the highest in protein, but I have noticed that the more expensive dry foods carried by my local pet store are one or two percentage points higher in protein content than the kinds carried by grocery stores. I don't think cat food makers are required to list carbohydrate content on their packaging, but you might be able to find that information online.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts