Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is my first experience reaching out to a forum, but would love some cat community advice. I have two calico cats (1 and 3 years old). They both grew up with dogs, currently live with one; but can be skittish and hide from new guests in the house and loud noises.
We will be moving in with my boyfriend this Spring, he has an old border collie-very gentle, calm, and loves cats.

What are everyone's thoughts on doing a "trial run?" Maybe bringing the cats over to the house for a few hours one afternoon? Or maybe a few nights, to get them used to the smells and such?

They would have their own bedroom with a shut door of course, and all of their things.

Would this cause more stress than be beneficial? Or should we just wait until we move to bring them over to the house? Would love to hear people's experiences or advice on the best way.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
Nope. No trial run if it was my girls. It will take time to get used to the new dog and the stress of traveling in the car and being in a strange place would not be worth it. But that's just my opinion, as a mom to two calicos. Well, one now, but I wouldn't do it with Charlee Marie and Cleo, either

Reactions: miscellaneous

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. No trial run if it was my girls. It will take time to get used to the new dog and the stress of traveling in the car and being in a strange place would not be worth it. But that's just my opinion, as a mom to two calicos. Well, one now, but I wouldn't do it with Charlee Marie and Cleo, either
Thank you so much! Your post is very helpful...that is what I was thinking, not worth it...but wanted to gather some opinions and experiences first. Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
Cats are so different from dogs in that respect. You can have puppy play dates, doggy sit in your house with other dogs, take your dog to dog parks, etc. Someone I know said she was going to take her (new) cat to her friend's house for a play date with her friend's cat. I tried everything to talk her out of it, but she was brand new to cats and thought it would be cruel to leave her cat alone while she went to her friend's house for a girls' night in. Needless to say, it didn't go well. But I got her cat a good attorney, so it was settled quietly. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your girls.

Reactions: miscellaneous

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cats are so different from dogs in that respect. You can have puppy play dates, doggy sit in your house with other dogs, take your dog to dog parks, etc. Someone I know said she was going to take her (new) cat to her friend's house for a play date with her friend's cat. I tried everything to talk her out of it, but she was brand new to cats and thought it would be cruel to leave her cat alone while she went to her friend's house for a girls' night in. Needless to say, it didn't go well. But I got her cat a good attorney, so it was settled quietly. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your girls.
LOL that is funny (not the failed house visit part)- thanks again for sharing!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Great idea giving the cats their own room. I'd skip the trial run too, but you could bring some of your cats' things, like a Tshirt, blanket, or soft toy with their scent on it to your boyfriend's house, and bring some of his dog's things with their scent on it to your house, which may help everybody get used to each other before you all move in together. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts