Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with Luke again. He's been a bully to just about every cat I've tried to match him with. I found another home for Pete because I couldn't stand to see Luke constantly plaguing him. He beat up on declawed Softy, and now he's beating up Cubby and today I heard an awful noise, came into the parlor, and found a lot of Cubby's fur and Cubby hiding under the utility cart in the kitchen - petrified. I don't know what to do about this. The idea crossed my mind to ask the no kill shelter where they came from if they'd take Luke back. I would not want to part with Cubby, he's really loving cat and in my lap almost all the time.

I would not part with Luke unless they agreed to take him back. Is there any chance that Luke needs to be an only cat? He takes advantage of Cubby and is about 4 pounds heavier than Cubby, and a few years older.

I can't stand to see Cubby being hurt. Sometimes Luke plays fair but he often seems to take his anger out on Cubby, like if Luke wants to go out and I don't let him out ASAP. Right now I've put Luke into the 2nd bedroom and he can stay in there a few hours and maybe think about what he's done. In the meantime I won't have to worry about him hurting Cubby. I've cut Luke's claws down and left Cubby's as sharp as can be, but Luke always gets the upper hand and ends up terrorizing Cubby or other cats.

CR

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I waited until they wouldn't kill each other before I let them be in the same room. No, I probably didn't go by the book. Does that mean Luke could never act civil to Cubby?

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Luke sounds a lot like Kobi. There have been several times when I was very tempted to rehome him to someplace where he would be an only cat, but I just couldn't do it.

Unfortunately I don't have much advice for you as I haven't had much luck getting him to behave differently. One minute he's sweet as pie, the next he has one of the girls pinned and beating on her. It's worse when it's a day or two before a full moon. I have had some success with Pet Naturals of Vermont Calming treats, he gets those on full moon days. You can also try Feliway diffusers.

He has mellowed a bit as he's gotten older...but definitely not enough.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Kobi sounds worse than Luke. Good to see you have hung in there with Kobi. I'm most likely going to hang in there with Luke too. Right now, they're chasing each other around, getting some exercise and having a good time. That was the only time Luke really went after Cubby that way. I think he may have been jealous so I'm trying harder to balance the affection I give to them. He didn't really hurt Cubby much but it did startle him. I think we can work things out. I've had Luke for about 6 years.

Cheers and thanks for the ideas.,

CR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts