Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first post here, but I desperately need some guidance.

We got our kitten, Norman, about 2 months ago. He is almost 6 months old and not nuetered yet. We also have another older cat that my wife has had for 8 years.

The last 3 weeks or so Norman has been either urinating or spraying in the house. The smell became too much to bear. I cleaned the carpet this weekend in our home (which is a rental BTW) and now Norman is confined to the bathroom.

I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing we can do but give Norman up. This absolutely kills me to do since he has quickly became a part of the family. But we can't have an animal that destroys our home either.

My wife is away right now, she returns tonight. She requested that I get rid of Norman before she gets home so she doesn't have to say goodbye.

I guess I just want to know if there's anyway I can give him another chance. I'm afraid to let him roam again since the smell isn't completely gone in some of his 'spots' and I don't want him to go there again.

Will getting him nuetered help? Could it just be a bladder infection? Caould he be marking his territory so young?

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Get him neutered! That's why he's spraying. In the vast majority of cats, the spraying will stop after neutering. While he's at the vet, have them check his urine and make sure there is not a complicating infection. But at this age, hormones are the most likely culprit for the urge to spray.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) That is promising news. Will I need to completely clean the spots until the smell is completely gone as well? Will he return to those spots once he is neutered?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, you'll still have to clean up the spots with an enzyme cleaner. Might as well do that while he's away for the day! :) We just don't want anything there to "remind" him about marking once he returns, or to inspire your other cat to start! :wink:

BTW, even if the two cats are getting along right now, your other cat may hiss at him when he comes back from being neutered--it's because he'll smell different from the anesthesia and surgery. Cats are very visual but they also have a keen sense of smell, and the conflict between "it *looks* like him" and "but it doesn't *smell* like him" can cause a little friction for a couple of days. Give it time, they'll work it out!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your post. My wife will be extremely happy to hear this.

I guess my only reservation comes from the fact that I hear a lot of people say that once a cat starts marking, nuetering will not help. Is that a myth?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
There are a small proportion of cats that will not stop marking after neutering. But this is a small fraction. Since your little guy has just started and he is only 6 months old, it is almost guaranteed he will stop marking once you get him neutered! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish you could see the smile on my face right now. Thanks so much! I'm making an appointemnet today!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, definitely a myth--the statistics say quite the opposite. 90% of cats will stop spraying once neutered, males respond a little better than females.

Your little guy is young and just started spraying, so I would be very confident that neutering will solve the problem completely. The ones that don't stop are those who have been spraying for months (or years!) and it has become a habit. He should get over this quickly! :D

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more question.

Will he immediatley stop or will we need to keep him in the bathroom for a while?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
ahhh cat spray... what a lovely smell- not lol
I use simple soloution for cat spray.odur and urine. It is fantastic! it really does get rid of the spray smell, and its safe on carpets and furniture.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Nature's Miracle is also a good one -- so is Petzyme. Just be aware that cats can smell their urine through many soaps or detergents, even if you can't. So you should definitely invest in a good enzyme cleaner -- it shouldn't be that expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more question

How do I know he's spraying and not urinating? Will the neutering help either way?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
He is about the right age to start spraying, and since he hasnt done that before it would lead to that conclusion.
But if you are not happy with that, or unsure, aside from talking to your vet i think you can get your cat tested for uranary tract desease ( i think its called that, someone please correctme if im wrong) but so far the signs show towards the fact your cat has reached maturty and has started marking his territory.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Have you ever seen him do it? Spraying is done standing on all four feet, not squatting. A spraying cat lifts it's tail, somewhat arches its back, and...sprays. :) Spray is also much more potent and stinky. If it's a urination problem and not a spraying problem, you'll want to get your cat to the vet to be checked for a urinary tract infection. A big reason that some cats pee outside their box is because something is wrong internally. Cats don't really *like* being messy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts