Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I recently adopted an eleven week old kitten, Link. I already have a three year old boy named Chase. I did a very slow intro - it was almost a week before they were able to interact.

The first few days were okay - Chase hissed at Link occasionally but besides that, they both did their own thing.

But now Link chases Chase all around the apartment, jumping on his back, swatting at his tail, and biting his neck. Chase usually just hissed and ran away, but now he is starting to fight back. For the past two days, they have been clinging to each others necks and 'fighting.'

I think that Link thinks they're playing and Chase thinks he is under attack. I've just been trying to make a loud sound or throwing a blanket to get them to stop. But they keep going at it. Then I end up separating them and feel bad that one of them is confined.

Any advice? I could really use it. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Not advice - just a question. Are you sure that Link isn't right? Have there been any injuries and do they split up on ther own if you don't intervene?

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
A week is NOT a very slow intro. A week is how long the new cat should stay confined to his own room!

More on this:

http://www.catforum.com/forum/37-be...oduction-thread-calvin-jonah-conrad-erik.html

http://www.catforum.com/forum/37-behavior/127267-jonahs-introduction-diary-cat-cat-cat-dog.html

Seems to me that you rushed things. I would go back to square 1 for a while. But bear in mind that adult cats frequently do NOT appreciate kitten antics. If one has an adult cat and wants to adopt a kitten it is best to adopt TWO so they can play with and amuse each other. If one does not want 3 cats, best thing is to adopt an adult cat as a companion.

All that to say that there is going to be some of this. My Jonah still drives Calvin nuts (and J is now 3). He's a super active cat and Calvin is not tolerant. It's just how things are.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to post and run because I am late to work.

But just wanted to say that I thought it was pretty slow. I read all of the articles and they said to take the cat's lead. Chase had stopped hissing at the door and they were playing with each other under the door.

Then I introduced them with Link in the carrier and that went really well..

And people on here said that it is usually better with an adult cat and a kitten and you don't have to drag out the intro for weeks.

So I don't really think it was too short.

To the first poster who replied - what do you mean by is Link 'right'? Like okay? They both are fine - no injuries.

Appreciate the comments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Are the two cats fighting for real or are they simply play-fighting? If there's a lot of noise going on during these fights (hissing, growling, screeching) then I would conclude they're fighting for real. In that case, you should consider going back to square one and extending the length of the introduction.

You're right when you say kittens are typically easier to introduce than older cats, and often a week is sufficient...but that's not always the case. When I introduced my two, Muffs was 4 months old and Abby was only 10 weeks. So, they were both kittens. Regrettably, it took over 4 months before I could leave them alone together without fur flying. So much for kittens being easy to introduce!

In short, you can't simply assume all kittens will be easy to introduce. If your two are constantly fighting (for real) then your introduction was too short. On the other hand, if they're just playing, you needn't be concerned.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
I have simply NEVER found that a kitten and an established adult cat is an easy intro. Most adult cats are unamused by kittens who want to play 24/7. A YOUNG adult (1 year or so), sure. But most cats older than that are unlikely to be tolerant. 2 kittens will wear each other out and ignore the old codger--in the absence of another kitten, old codger is all there is and he WILL be harrassed. IMO it's usually a mistake to bring a single kitten into a situation like that. If it has to be done (and I have done it) just know that you WILL have to confine the kitten sometimes to give the older cat a break, and that things will go better if YOU play with the kitten long enough and hard enough to tire him out so he doesn't make older kitty's life a living ****!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
To the first poster who replied - what do you mean by is Link 'right'? Like okay? They both are fine - no injuries.
Sorry - I obviously wasn't very clear - I meant "right" in the sense of "correct". We care so much about our cats that sometimes (not necessarily in this case) we can see normal settling and interaction as too serious so I was simply wondering if Link's assessment of the situation as described by you might not have been accurate.

The introduction you described sounded good to me, by the way.

As far the issue of cats and kittens meeting up, my Princess Tramp has recently bonded brilliantly with two half grown kittens (one of whom she idolises) and my nephew's elderly cat has settled very well with two little kittens (from the abandoned mother I found) so age need not be too much of a barrier but I do think the fact they were pairs may well have helped.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Sorry - I obviously wasn't very clear - I meant "right" in the sense of "correct". We care so much about our cats that sometimes (not necessarily in this case) we can see normal settling and interaction as too serious so I was simply wondering if Link's assessment of the situation as described by you might not have been accurate.
I'm not sure I follow you. If Link thinks they're playing and Chase thinks he's getting attacked, how is one more "right" than the other? They are BOTH right. Link is a kitten--his job is to play play play until he's exhausted. Chase is an adult cat--he wants to nap nap nap and he views this as a terrible intrusion. One is not more "right" than the other--the problem is that they are at different life stages and not much can change that except time!

And that can be a LOT of time. My Jonah is now 3 and he STILL drives Calvin bat-s*** crazy! When we had Lincoln things were easier--he played w/ Jonah (and Jonah respected him when he said, "ENOUGH, Brat!") and he cuddled w/ Calvin. Without Lincoln, the 2 still don't get along great. Calvin tolerates Jonah--that's as good as it gets!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the two cats fighting for real or are they simply play-fighting? If there's a lot of noise going on during these fights (hissing, growling, screeching) then I would conclude they're fighting for real. In that case, you should consider going back to square one and extending the length of the introduction.

You're right when you say kittens are typically easier to introduce than older cats, and often a week is sufficient...but that's not always the case. When I introduced my two, Muffs was 4 months old and Abby was only 10 weeks. So, they were both kittens. Regrettably, it took over 4 months before I could leave them alone together without fur flying. So much for kittens being easy to introduce!

In short, you can't simply assume all kittens will be easy to introduce. If your two are constantly fighting (for real) then your introduction was too short. On the other hand, if they're just playing, you needn't be concerned.
Well the hissing and growling are only coming from Chase so that makes me think that Chase is fighting and Link is playing. Which makes sense I guess. I tried to match up personalities because Chase is a rather playful boy - he usually plays with us and he always chased/played with Dusty (my mom's cat) when we still lived at home. But Link is just getting on his nerves. I don't know what to do!

I got Link when I was off from work but I go back and Monday. I thought it would have been safe to leave them alone by then. So far, we only left them together for a few hours one day (before all of this 'fighting' began).

Ahhhhhh

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have two male cats about 1-1/2 years apart. They are 9 and 10 now. I did not leave them alone together for weeks. They have been together for 8 years, are not best friends but frequently sleep near each other. Hissing from the older cat is not unusual. I would say that Link is playing and pushing the limit, like kids do, and Chase is telling him when he has gone too far. I suggest that you separate them when you are not home (for now) but, if nobody is getting hurt, let them work it out (when you are home). Chase is the adult teaching Link. If one becomes fearful then you have to intervene. It will be okay. Just take some time to work it out.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Well the hissing and growling are only coming from Chase so that makes me think that Chase is fighting and Link is playing. Which makes sense I guess. I tried to match up personalities because Chase is a rather playful boy - he usually plays with us and he always chased/played with Dusty (my mom's cat) when we still lived at home. But Link is just getting on his nerves. I don't know what to do!

I got Link when I was off from work but I go back and Monday. I thought it would have been safe to leave them alone by then. So far, we only left them together for a few hours one day (before all of this 'fighting' began).

Ahhhhhh
A large part of what you do is what you're comfortable with, since only you can properly see Chase's reaction. However, from what you've described, I wouldn't leave the two cats alone unsupervised at this point. I'd put them together for meals, following which they will likely groom themselves which hopefully will lead to a bit of peace. Thereafter, I'd distract Link if he starts to chase Chase (no chasing Chase!)

If Chase is trying to sleep or take a break, then spend time playing with Link to tire him out a bit, as hoofmaiden suggested. Also, try playing with the both of them when Chase is awake. I used to take a long piece of string and dangle it so each cat had a piece to chase without them bumping into each other. No doubt you can think of other games. It will take a bit of time out of your days in the next few weeks or so, but Link will only be a playful little kitten for a very short time, so try to enjoy this time. When you're unable to properly supervise Link, I'd put him in his safe room with some safe toys and let him play by himself. In short, I'd do whatever I could to make their time together a positive experience in these early days...rather than time spent fighting, with you making noises and throwing blankets, all of which is negative, for both them and you.

As I earlier noted, my two did NOT like each other at the start and it took a lot of work and patience to get them through that. But today they are the best of friends...they cuddle and groom each other and never hiss or fight for real. So, things do get better with time.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'm not sure I follow you. If Link thinks they're playing and Chase thinks he's getting attacked, how is one more "right" than the other?
Obviously, I have still not been clear. In many relationhips between older and younger cats, there is the situation where the younger sees it as playing but, sooner or later, the older "slaps him / her down", using issing (or even growling) but wthout actually feeling threatened . It can be a serious business or it can be something within the normal relationship development process. It can be easy for us humans to see it as more serious than it can be (or to ignore it to much).

To give a concrete example: Princess Tramp is incredibly good with the kittens. Last night, they were running everywhere and stopping her from sleeping. She told them off, well and truly! When they get too much, she will hiss, spit and even hit them (albeit not drastically). They moved into another room and today she is lovely with them again. A certain degree of playing, irritating and reprimanding is natural - if it stays at that, then it is nothing more serious than playing and its repercussions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A large part of what you do is what you're comfortable with, since only you can properly see Chase's reaction. However, from what you've described, I wouldn't leave the two cats alone unsupervised at this point. I'd put them together for meals, following which they will likely groom themselves which hopefully will lead to a bit of peace. Thereafter, I'd distract Link if he starts to chase Chase (no chasing Chase!)

If Chase is trying to sleep or take a break, then spend time playing with Link to tire him out a bit, as hoofmaiden suggested. Also, try playing with the both of them when Chase is awake. I used to take a long piece of string and dangle it so each cat had a piece to chase without them bumping into each other. No doubt you can think of other games. It will take a bit of time out of your days in the next few weeks or so, but Link will only be a playful little kitten for a very short time, so try to enjoy this time. When you're unable to properly supervise Link, I'd put him in his safe room with some safe toys and let him play by himself. In short, I'd do whatever I could to make their time together a positive experience in these early days...rather than time spent fighting, with you making noises and throwing blankets, all of which is negative, for both them and you.

As I earlier noted, my two did NOT like each other at the start and it took a lot of work and patience to get them through that. But today they are the best of friends...they cuddle and groom each other and never hiss or fight for real. So, things do get better with time.
Thanks for all the great advice. I am getting so frustrated because I just want my cats to be happy. Even if they don't become friends, I just want them to be able to coexist. I think Chase is still mad at me for bringing Link home :[

I am going to try feeding by the door again. I was doing that for several days during the intro as well. Link is crazy obsessed with food - I don't even think that he chews at all. But I guess that's a whole other thing.

I am going to try and play, play, play with Link and hopefully he will lay off Chase.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice. I am getting so frustrated because I just want my cats to be happy. Even if they don't become friends, I just want them to be able to coexist. I think Chase is still mad at me for bringing Link home :[

I am going to try feeding by the door again. I was doing that for several days during the intro as well. Link is crazy obsessed with food - I don't even think that he chews at all. But I guess that's a whole other thing.

I am going to try and play, play, play with Link and hopefully he will lay off Chase.
You're more than welcome. Not to worry, Chase isn't mad at you. He's just stressed due to the new arrival...and playing with Link as much as you can is a good idea.

It will just take time for Chase to get used to the idea of Link being there. Also, as he gets a little older, Link will settle down a bit and won't be so much of a pest! But I would separate them for now when you go back to work. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Feeding them near each other doesn't seem to make a difference maybe because thy already know each other?

I don't know if there's really a way to deal with this because I can't make Link not attack Chase, he doesn't understand that to Chase it's not playing. The funny thing is, is that Chase used to do the exact same thing to my mom's cat Dusty when we lived at home. From the time he was a kitten to 2and a half years old, he always liked chasing Dusty and hopping on her back. Dusty I guess handled it a lot better. She didn't hiss or growl like Chase does at Link.

I'm hoping it gets better in time because it is just stressing me out.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
I don't know if there's really a way to deal with this because I can't make Link not attack Chase, he doesn't understand that to Chase it's not playing. The funny thing is, is that Chase used to do the exact same thing to my mom's cat Dusty when we lived at home. From the time he was a kitten to 2and a half years old, he always liked chasing Dusty and hopping on her back. Dusty I guess handled it a lot better. She didn't hiss or growl like Chase does at Link.

I'm hoping it gets better in time because it is just stressing me out.
Well, as I said, more than likely time is the only thing that will change this. It would have been much better to have adopted 2 kittens instead of 1--but since this is the situation, you'll just have to make the best of things. Spend time SEVERAL times a day playing interactively w/ Link--with a Cat Dancer or Da Bird type of toy--to wear him out and give him stimulation. Lock him away from Chase for 1-2 hours a day to give Chase a break (and to give you a chance to interact w/ Chase w/out kitten interference). Eventually Link will grow up and eventually Chase will relax. But it probably won't be soon--kittens are kittens for 1-2 years at least!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Obviously, I have still not been clear. In many relationhips between older and younger cats, there is the situation where the younger sees it as playing but, sooner or later, the older "slaps him / her down", using issing (or even growling) but wthout actually feeling threatened . It can be a serious business or it can be something within the normal relationship development process. It can be easy for us humans to see it as more serious than it can be (or to ignore it to much).

To give a concrete example: Princess Tramp is incredibly good with the kittens. Last night, they were running everywhere and stopping her from sleeping. She told them off, well and truly! When they get too much, she will hiss, spit and even hit them (albeit not drastically). They moved into another room and today she is lovely with them again. A certain degree of playing, irritating and reprimanding is natural - if it stays at that, then it is nothing more serious than playing and its repercussions.
I 100 million times agree with this. Seriously, I was so close to getting rid of Book so many times because he just would NOT leave MowMow alone. I learned to just stay out of it much more. If I SEE Book stalking or heading to MowMow I'll divert his attention with a toy or something and if he does bug him too much then the hissing/growling/smacking from MowMOw is exactly what he needs.

He did used to think (or act like) Mow was playing back but as I let MowMow handle him (providing there was no blood shed, and there never was) it was fine. The more I stressed about it the worse the situation got. Book still acts like a putz sometimes but they really do seem to actually get along now. Book loves grooming MOwMow and MowMow loves being worshipped and groomed. They play together now, but MowMOw still has to put the smack down on Book if it gets too rough. The more I got involved the worse it got.

ETA: I agree with giving Chase some kitten free time. When it was as its worst I would leave Book in the bathroom for an extra 45 minutes after he ate (3 times a day) to give MowMow some alone time where he could walk around without fear of being divebombed from furniture. It also gave him some Mommy and Me time.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Is it possible to adopt another kitten? Chances are the kitten and older cat will not get along. The kitten wants to play and play and play , while the older cat does not. At best they will co exist (it may take months) but I doubt they will ever be friends.

Now I did this backwards. I got a kitten from a rescue at 12 weeks. Two weeks later I went back and adopted her cage mate from the rescue who was a month older. No intros needed... They remembered each other and were bonded instantly. Fast forward to 6 months later. I then adopted a 6 year old cat. She just started to get along with the kittens a month or two ago. The kittens(now a year old) chase each other around the house, wrestle etc. the older cat will play with cat toys with me but not the kittens. If they try to wrestle or chase her she will hiss and swat them. They have too much energy and when they start to run around she will usually leave the room.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts