Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sherlock is 11 y/o indoor only cat and was diagnosed with Asthma (via x-rays and so forth) about 6 months ago. In the beginning it was occasional coughing, but nothing that appeared to be particularly troublesome to him.

Fast forward to November of last year, we moved into a new home. Everything was fine until late December when we began to noticed some wheezing and increased coughing. We took him to a new vet and got some blood work done.

He was started on a steroid (Prednisone I believe) for the asthma, which helped. When we got the blood work back we found that everything was normal except his CPK value which was abnormally high.

The Vet let us know that high CPK values could be the sign of a previous heart attack, or recent injury (neither of which he had that I am aware of), as well as possible skeletal muscle disease. However, since he had no other symptoms of anything - i.e. still as active (jumps on/off the bed, runs around, etc), eating, drinking and using the restroom - she wasn't sure what to make of it other than to keep an eye on it.

So we kept an eye on him for a month or so, then got his blood re-checked in late January. His CPK is still high and had increased as well (keep in mind Sherlock is high strung when it comes to "change" and that the second that the cat carrier comes out he starts crying - LOUDLY). Everything else in his blood is fine. Vet thinks maybe he has Toxoplasmosis, he's tested and it's negative. She gives us a rescue inhaler and we go on our way.

From that point on his breathing got worse. We had at least one incident a day where he would appear to be breathing rapidly (visually) and he'd "hitch" with every breath. One dose of the rescue inhaler would fix the problem in about 15 minutes or so. However, he now breathes at a faster rate (as far as I can notice) than our other two cats. Note: there hasn't been any open mouth panting at any time.

This was the point where we went into full "clean house" mode. We installed a high end "allergy" filter in the heater, added a circulating water dish, bought two air purifiers (one big for the front room / kitchen, one small for the bedroom), switched to a pine litter (saw dust like, not the pellets), and had the carpets rinsed professionally to remove any remaining cleaner / detergent from the cleaning prior to us moving in.

This has seemed to help to some degree. However, he continues to breath fast and about every other day just seems off (if that makes sense). A dose of the inhaler helps and seems to bring him back to normal. I've also noticed that when he purrs (which is frequent, especially when he gets any attention :love2) it is not smooth at all. He also seems to breath oddly after eating, for a minute or so.

FYI - he HATES the inhaler and the Aero*Kat. We have to wrap him up in a towel to give it to him. If he sees me with it and has the opportunity he runs, despite the positive re-enforcement we try to give him before and after. He had a particularly aggressive response to it twice this week (one being last night) where I had to make multiple attempts to give it to him, which obviously panicked him and made everything worse and had the side effect of making me feel horrible.

Anyhow, the Vet prescribed another dose of Prednisone to see if that helps and then we'll decide how to move forward from there.

I've been keeping a log as well, but no noticeable patterns are there that I can see... I think the only thing we haven't looked at is the cat food (Nutro) that we feed them, not sure if this could be an issue or not.

That said, I am really at a loss - I don't know what to do and I feel very bad for Sherlock. I have to sleep with earplugs in because any noise I hear at night I immediately think it's coming from him (which it usually isn't), because otherwise I'd never sleep. I hate feeling so helpless. :cry:

Anyone that has any experience with this and has any suggestions, comments, or thoughts - they'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Is this a new house with new carpeting? if so look into out gassing from the glue that the carpet is made with...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a new house with new carpeting? if so look into out gassing from the glue that the carpet is made with...
No, it was old carpet that the landlord had cleaned. I was afraid that they used heavy detergent to clean it. We had it rinsed last Friday and haven't noticed any significant change in Sherlock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts