Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my problem I recently babysat my dads dog who gave my cat flea.Well my dad was using Hartz flea and tick collar(which I told dad was bad) which made my mother,sisters,and little brother into epileptic attacks and could have killed them and me had I been there.The doctors said most flea treatments could do that to anyone with epilepsy.So does anyone know of flea treatments that won't affects epileptics? Boo is suffering with flea right now cause I don't know what won't affect me!

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
I never heard of epileptic attacks from flea treatments. Just wash the cat and use a flea comb if you dont want use Advantage or Frontline.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are all epileptic except my dad,and that's what the doctor told us.She said it puts us at higher risk for seizures despite us taking meds.I've never had flea problems so I never used anything for it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Simone got a few fleas when my friend's cat came over a few weeks ago, and I got rid of them using a combination of bathing & combing Simone with dawn dish soap (then just comb with a bowl of soapy water once every day after); sprinkling diatomaceous earth on the cat food, carpets, and furniture; washing all linens & cat bed covers; and I vacuumed like a madwoman after letting the earth sit for a day. I haven't seen any fleas since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Capstar is a pill and it will kill adult fleas in 15 minutes. But it's not a preventative. Program is an oral suspension you put in the gravy of wet food and they eat it, this sterilizes the adult fleas to stop reproducing and is a preventative. You wouldn't have to worry about it getting on your skin with either product.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Simone got a few fleas when my friend's cat came over a few weeks ago, and I got rid of them using a combination of bathing & combing Simone with dawn dish soap (then just comb with a bowl of soapy water once every day after); sprinkling diatomaceous earth on the cat food, carpets, and furniture; washing all linens & cat bed covers; and I vacuumed like a madwoman after letting the earth sit for a day. I haven't seen any fleas since.
If you choose to use diatomaceous earth, please make sure it's FOOD GRADE. You can buy this at gardening stores but it's not safe to use around pets or humans. Must say food grade on the package.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking of trying to give him a bath with Dawn dish soap,How would I go about it so not to get clawed to death?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm thinking of trying to give him a bath with Dawn dish soap,How would I go about it so not to get clawed to death?

Have someone help you, and do it in a room where your cat can't escape easily (like the bathroom). You should also have several towels ready for drying & mopping water up off the floor!

Jackielyn- thanks for the tip; I didn't realize there was another type of diatomaceous earth available since I got mine directly from the local animal shelter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts