Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen chronic skin inflammation in cats? The skin over my cat's lower tummy has been red and inflammed for 3 months. He was given oral medicine for a month for ringworm, but the inflammation didn't go away. I believe he had itchy skin first before getting ringworm. The inflammation only went away when he was on allergy medicine.

He could be allergic to Trout and something else. I have stopped giving him wellness Trout 10 days ago, but the skin is still red and inflammed, although it doesn't itch as badly as before. Does anyone know how long it will take inflammation to go away after removing the allergen?

I feel very guilty about placing in the sun before, because the sun seemed to have made that spot worse...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sounds like allergy to me. How did you find out he is allergic to Trout? It could be that some other ingredients in wellness Trout caused this, but not the Trout. I'm not sure if there is allergic test available for cat (you may call your vet to find out). If there is none or you don't want to pay for it, then maybe you can find out the allergen by trial and fail, like giving him diffrent food and check his reactions. If there is a difference, compare the ingredient lists.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
we had one cat that had some chronic rash/skin issues, several vets, differant creams and diets= no change, one steriod injection= cured. she did need one more shot about six months later but no more after..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't be 100% sure that it was the trout in Wellness, but he was never allergic to anything until I started giving him Wellness canned food. His lower tummy has very bad rash after dinner everyday. It could be some other ingredients in wellness canned, but the Trout/Salmon flavour made a drastic change in the appearance of his skin. It looked so red and swollen and the surface has many bumps. It was within 3 hours of eating Trout/salmon flavour. With other fish flavour, the skin has milder rash. Now I'm not even sure if the chicken or turkey flavour are ok although there is no immediate reaction after eating them, but I'm a bit worried.
I kept giving him Wellness because the vet said the rash was caused by ringworm when it was not. After giving him ringworm medicine for 2 weeks with no change, I realized the ringworm was only secondary reaction of the food allergy. The rash only got subsided after giving allergy medicine and came back if the medicine was stopped. I stopped Wellness can food and the rash stopped getting worse and he stopped tearing skin and paws like crazy. The inflammation is still there though...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we had one cat that had some chronic rash/skin issues, several vets, differant creams and diets= no change, one steriod injection= cured. she did need one more shot about six months later but no more after..

What is your cat allergic to? The cat would need only 2 shots and the rash won't come back?
Was her skin inflammed and thickened?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually the vet gave him ringworm/allergy medicine for 2 weeks and then ringworm medicine alone for another 2 weeks. The rash and inflammation got worse in the later 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts

Your vet could have done a skin scraping to see if it was really ringworm and what kind if he was unsure. Rather than treat for someone he wasn’t officially sure of. It sounds more like a food allergy. My friend's cat is allergic to fish in food. You’d be surprised how many foods have fish in it. She’s a major label reader. But there are a lot of foods that are grain free and limited ingredients you could try. As brands suggested.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Auntie Crazy. I also think I shoulnd't give him Wellness for now.
I am currently feeding him By Nature's Organic canned. I will get Bravo's commercial raw, see how he does with it. I heard raw food is better for cats, hopefully it's also good for old cat.

He seems to scratch less after I stopped giving him Wellness, but the skin is still thickened and inflammed. That part of skin is very different and sensitive. I hope there is no permanent damage. I give him omega-3 and omega-6 oil everyday. I hope it won't take too long to heal. He has been wearing collar for months, and it has changed him into an angry introverted cat. His eyes are full of hate whenever I try to put collar on him.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Your vet could have done a skin scraping to see if it was really ringworm and what kind if he was unsure. Rather than treat for someone he wasn’t officially sure of. It sounds more like a food allergy. My friend's cat is allergic to fish in food. You’d be surprised how many foods have fish in it. She’s a major label reader. But there are a lot of foods that are grain free and limited ingredients you could try. As brands suggested.
Yes, he should have done skin scraping. I trusted his judgement too easily because he saved Joshua's life once years ago. He thought the itchiness and inflammation were caused by ringworm, and he kept telling me ringworm is sometimes very stubborn and that my cat is too old to fight ringworm. I recalled Joshua responded quickly to allergy medicine and didn't respond to antifungal medicine without allergy medicine at all, that is how I started realizing it wasn't ringworm that caused the inflammation. Ringworm was only a secondary problem of the food allergy.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Yes, he should have done skin scraping. I trusted his judgement too easily because he saved Joshua's life once years ago. He thought the itchiness and inflammation were caused by ringworm, and he kept telling me ringworm is sometimes very stubborn and that my cat is too old to fight ringworm. I recalled Joshua responded quickly to allergy medicine and didn't respond to antifungal medicine without allergy medicine at all, that is how I started realizing it wasn't ringworm that caused the inflammation. Ringworm was only a secondary problem of the food allergy.
If its an old cat then its immune system maybe compromised and that is why an old cat can get ringworm and not a healthy adult cat even when exposed to it. Usually ringworm starts around moist hot areas. Its crusty and slowly grows. Its different from allergy reactions. One of my fosters has allergic reactions. Its an angry red area with no crustiness.

Sorry if I got a little irratated with your vet. I hate it when they scatter shot ideas of what it might be with out being fairly sure. I understand why you put your faith in him because of saving your cats life. That is huge. But maybe he is good in one area but not in others. Takes awhile to find the ultimate vets. Trust me, we weeded thru a lot of vets, when working with rescues and ferals. Out of door cats present different problems than indoor only cats. Most vets didnt have the knowledge base to switch back and forth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you should also stop giving him those Omega oils, especially the Omega-6; not only is he probably already getting more of that than he needs from his foods, but too much Omega-6 is can cause skin inflammation-related issues.

That's AWESOME you're considering raw on a permanent basis for your little fur-face! The single biggest benefit of putting your kitty on raw foods is that he will get far more of everything he needs, in its natural form and in the proportions he needs, without any intervention or guessing on our part. :love2

AC
Thanks, Auntie crazy, I didn't know too much Omega-6 can make inflammation worse.
I got Bravo's venison yesterday. He always likes it when I give him new food. We will see if he can continue eating it. Bravo also sells salmon oil. I wonder if it has enough omega-3 in its regular diet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If its an old cat then its immune system maybe compromised and that is why an old cat can get ringworm and not a healthy adult cat even when exposed to it. Usually ringworm starts around moist hot areas. Its crusty and slowly grows. Its different from allergy reactions. One of my fosters has allergic reactions. Its an angry red area with no crustiness.

Sorry if I got a little irratated with your vet. I hate it when they scatter shot ideas of what it might be with out being fairly sure. I understand why you put your faith in him because of saving your cats life. That is huge. But maybe he is good in one area but not in others. Takes awhile to find the ultimate vets. Trust me, we weeded thru a lot of vets, when working with rescues and ferals. Out of door cats present different problems than indoor only cats. Most vets didnt have the knowledge base to switch back and forth.
I also got irritated with my vet. I believe it wasn't very necessary to take the ringworm medicine for 1 months, not to mention prolonging and allowing the allergy sympton to worsen. I normally don't like giving oral medicine to my cat unless there is no other way, so it was quite a bit of a struggle for me to start the medication.

Yes, the vet did save Joshu'a life years ago. Without him, Joshua wouldn't have lived. Now I realized that the vet is very good in life and death surgeries, not very good in skin problems. My cat didn't lose too much hair in the affected area. I remember asking him why it looks so different from other cats' ringworms. He just said with his usual confidence that ringworms don't all look the same. I didn't doubt his judgement since I've never seen this before.

It's has been about 1 week since I stopped giving Wellness canned. He doesn't itch and chew his skin like crazy now, but that part of the skin looks dry and thick. I'm not sure if I should put anything on the skin to help.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I really hate laptops sometimes! I had this whole response typed up, and then my laptop just deleted it, so I had to start all over! Grrr!

Anyway, I went through something very similar to you, except it took me 2 years to get it all figured out. My vets knew absolutely nothing about skin issues, or nutrition, and actually at the time, I knew even less. Most vets know very little about nutrition to begin with. It was assumed my cats had mites, and they put them on ivermectin for weeks, telling me it was completely safe!

After alot of my own research, I switched them to raw, and things really started to improve, though we still had alot of itching. My cats allergies came out in the form of paw biting, itching above the eyes, and digging in the ears, as well as LOTS of grooming themselves.

I was feeding rabbit meat, and adding in chicken for the fat. I was trying to add in omega 3 oils, but every time I added in omegas they started to itch worse, so I thought we had an allergy to fish. However, when I added other oils in, flax, primrose, etc., they itched more. Lucy always had a fowl smell to her breath also, so I started to wonder if it wasn't stomach irritation instead.

After researching even further, I found more information that stated, like AC said, omega 6 oils can actually have the opposite effect of omega 3's, and cause skin irritation. I also found an article from a vet that said cats who have been on medicine for longer periods of time, tend to need a lower fat diet........which confirmed my thoughts on the stomach irritation.

I completely took away the chicken I was adding to the rabbit mix, and replaced it with omega 3 fish oil, which is supposed to be very good for skin allergies. Low and behold, my cats don't have an allergy to fish oil! On a very simple, more bland diet, the residual itching has pretty much gone away. They still itch a bit, but absolutely nothing like they did before.

This is what has been working for my cats, and I know that when all the allergy crap, and itching started here, I had been exclusively feeding Wellness brand as well. But the bland raw low fat diet is the only thing that worked here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s weird that those vets said those medicines were completely safe when they are not. My vet also told me it is completely safe and doesn’t hurt liver or stomach much cuz there is stomach medicine in there and the dosage is small.
During the wrong treatment, my cat had very scary acne on his chin and started coughing often, let alone his lethargic look. I wanted to stop the oral medicine right away, but none of the topical treatments worked, and everyone around me started accusing me for not following the instruction of the vet, saying who am I to question an expert.

I looked at his skin everyday during the treatment, and was very suspicious about it being ringworm. I did research, made journal, and tried to change his diet. He ate many different things, so I had to go through lots of trial and errors. It’s weird that after I started giving him Wellness, something seems to be triggered in his body, he started getting itchy skin from not just wellness; even Nature’s variety beef and Organix turkey, which he was fine with before, can also give him itchy skin, but Wellness gives the major outbreak of itch/inflammation/bumps/paw chewing/crazy scratching. His skin doesn’t itch as much after being on By nature canned and commercial raw, that’s a relief. Now I just need to cure his skin inflammation.

So should we just give omega-3 without omega-6? I don’t know why some online articles say the ratio of omega-6 and omega-3 should be approximately 2:1.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
That's kind of funny, you are doing all the same things I did! I did the journal too, so I could keep track of their symptoms. If I thought of something spur of the moment, I saved a memo on my Blackberry so I could journal it later on! LOL! Heck, we even started raising meat rabbits for these darn cats, because I got tired of getting bad batches randomly when I bought meat! It is awesome though, knowing literally everything that is in their food because I put it there, including what I gave to the rabbits.

Patches refuses to eat rabbit, R.E.F.U.S.E.S.! She'd rather hunger strike than be without her beloved raw chicken. She's doing ok on it, though she does have some itching. She gets fish oil in her chicken, but she seems to handle it better than my other 2, they are on the rabbit/fish oil combo because they just couldn't handle the chicken. It's not perfect, but they are so much happier than they were the last two years, and much more active!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Oh....yes, I wouldn't give the omega 6 at all. Stick with omega 3. Make sure you are buying a high quality omega 3 also, it will be a cleaner oil, a more pure oil without all the junk. Nordic Naturals is a good one, it's what I use.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I've stopped giving omega 6. It was actually Coatex fatty acid by Vetplus.
I'm now giving the omega 3 oil (combination of fish and flax seed oil) that I have.

He is slightly better. Maybe it would take a while for the thicken skin to return normal....

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
AC is right, raw has made a HUGE difference for my cats! Don't know if we'd be doing this well if it wasn't for the transition to raw. It takes time too, you just have to figure out what works best for your kitty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the information on omega-6. I was just wondering why his skin didn't improve on that flaxseed/fish oil. I will pick up sardine for him today.

I actually have been thinking about giving him more raw food. His poop actually looks very nice when I give him commercial raw, nice size/shape/color. I'm now convinced there is a difference in quality between the grain-free canned food and raw meat. When I gave him natural variety or Evo grain-free canned, his poops were smelly and huge, but when I gave him Bravo, his poops didn't smell and looked a bit white. Now he seems bored by raw meat. He would eat raw with no problem in the morning, but for dinner he demands canned and kibble. It's kinda half raw half canned now.
It surely will be a huge change for him if I remove all his cans and kibble, but I should really try.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts