Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We locked Dunga by mistake in a cabinet with all the cleaners! We came home after about an hour and the toilet bowel cleaner was opened, all over in the cabinet and she was dirty from it. We washed her right away but we are not sure if she swolowed it or not. This cleaner is POISON - it says on the bottle. We called the vet they said we have to call some Poison control (someting like that) and they will charge us like 40$ just for the phone call - we have no money at all! We wil have cash in like 2 days. We called another vet and she said the same thing - to call the poison control. We can't afford it! The vet didn't tell us what else to do. Im so worried!

We gave her milk now, hoping she will puke... :(

Please help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,102 Posts
I've never known a cat to go for those cleaning products, as they usually have an unappealing scent. I've only known animals to drink things that have no scent.

I'd say chances are that she didn't have anything, but keep a close eye on her.. watch for her to get sick or lethargic.

g'luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
I have called poison control before (My daughter bit the thermometer and swallowed the mercury) It was an 800 number, they didnt charge me anything???

I hope your kitty is ok! Good luck at the vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
I really don't think poison control charges for the call. It is usually an 800 number, or whatever the Canadian equivelant is. I have a magnet on my fridge with the ASPCA number, and it is toll-free. I hope Dunga is alright!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,235 Posts
Yikes, I hope Dunga is ok. I'm sure she didn't lap anything up but if she did get some on her paws and licked it it up, it'll still get inside her system and it would seem like they would throw up soon afterwards. Since you are taking her to the vet, I'm sure the vet will have an answer for you . Good luck (((=
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We just got home. What a night! We called the 888 number but once you call, they ask for the credit card and charge 50USD for the discussion. They also talked to the vet (where we went - it was an emergency place). The vet looked at her and then (after talking on the phone with the 888 number) he prescribed us some medication and we went to pharmacy and bought it. Tomorrow I gonna give big hug to my gf because without her, we wouldn't be able to go to the vet.

So, in the end we payed 80 + tax CAD to the vet, 50 USD to the 888 number and then around 20 CAD for the medications.

The vet said to watch her for the next 12-24 hours. The medication is for 3 days and if she is fine, then everything is good.

Who would think this would happen? We gotta move those cleaners somewhere else, where the cats can't reach it. I thought, it would be safe, because they are closed in the cabinet, but the cats can get anywhere! We opened the cabinet just for maybe a minute and Dunga entered! We haven't noticed at all.

I feel so sorry for Dunga. We will watch her and see how she is.

Thank you for your support!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's morning and she seems to be fine. I was trying to give her the medications which was almost impossible.

I just realized how lucky I am that we have vet emergency in our town. This vet clinic is opened during the night and during holidays. Isn't that great?

Also, I wanna thank my husband because he handled the whole situation so good! I was too emotional and couldn't make any decision! He was so calm and did all the best he could. He is a great person! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I'm so glad to hear your cat is o.k.!

Never say never when it comes to these little devils (LOL). I know someone whose cat bit through a bottle of cleaner (who knows why?) and burned his throat and mouth area. He survived but developed asthma/breathing problems that are controlled with medication.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,235 Posts
Glad to hear she will be fine. I know what you mean about them sneaking right in when you are probably thinking "when did they get in there?" It happened once with Twinkie going in the closet behind my back and I locked him in there the whole day! :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28,615 Posts
How upsetting, to say the least! I cannot imagine a poison control center charging for information. That's a disgrace. Do they let animals or children die for a lack of money? I called the poison control center because my little boy got into some wild berries. They said there was no problem, but said to play it safe, and they made a recommendation--no charge. This love of the almighty dollar! is infuriating! Of course Dunga's worth the cost--and more. Thank God he's doing well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
good to hear she's doing ok.

maybe you could get a child lock for the cabinets, then you wouldn't have to move everything.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top